One song at a time - 9. Yaava Janmada Maitri

G K Venkatesh

"By the way, why have they left out Yaava janmada maitri, that enchanting Kuvempu poem Janaki sang under G K Venkatesh's baton? ", exclaimed the reviewer Smriti Anand, of the now defunct, TheMusicMagazine. She was reviewing a compilation CD of Janaki's Kannada songs. If you have heard 'yaava janmada maitri' you too would have commented on its absence from any compilation of Janaki's Kannada songs. There are some songs which you will immediately recognize as something special and will hold it amongst the best songs by the singer, even if you have not heard the other songs that the singer has sung!!! 'yaava janmada maitri' is one such song.

I first heard this in the 'Doni Saagali' tape. Music Director G.K.Venkatesh had set tune to the poem of Rashtrakavi Kuvempu. I am sure Kuvempu would have approved of this tune. The very first time I heard the song I was taken in by the lovely tune, the way Janaki sung the song and whatever I could understand of the lyrics. Class was written all over it.

Sometime back I had written a post about Kalyani and Mohanam being favoured by the film music directors. When two such lovely ragas combine together, the music directors are even more happy. Yes, this song is based on Mohana Kalyani. (It is called Suddh Kalyan in Hindustani music. I think even the famous 'rasik balma' is Mohana Kalyani based.) The raga gives a feeling of indescribable peace. G K Venkatesh, by the way he tuned the song, enhances this mood of Mohana Kalyani very well. The tune also evokes the night mood which is very apt for the movie. Janaki's sings as if her throat is made of glass which would shatter if she were to sound harsh. So lets enjoy this soft beauty from the movie, 'Gowri'. (Uploaded in youtube by 'Sirigannadiga') (Update: My friend Ramki feels that this could a straight Mohanam and not MohanaKalyani.)

Comments

Aakarsh said…
whats with you and Mohana Kalyani these days? :-) Nice song. I liked it a lot. Never heard it before (the only kannada songs i heard were of IR's).Thanks to you, i can now explore Kannada music as well :-)
Suresh S said…
Sometimes by coincidence we get hold of some ragas :) This is definitely one of the great songs of Kannada Film Music. There are few more coming here in the future :)
ravinat said…
Suresh

This song is new to me and is a great melody. I am still trying to put a finger on an old Lata number that sounds like this. When I get to it, I will definitely get back.

Good job in introducing some great old music.
Suresh S said…
Ravi,

The one song of Lata that comes to my mind is 'rasik balma' which I mentioned in my post. I am sure there are quite a few Mohanam/ Mohana Kalyani based numbers of Lata out there.
Ramki Krishnan said…
Lovely song, but sounds like Mohanam to me!

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala