One song at a time - 10. Oru Murai Vandhu Kaeleero - Tribute to M G Radhakrishnan


The noted Malayalam film music director M G Radhakrishnan passed away recently. This edition of 'One song at a time' is a tribute to him.

The first time I encountered M G Radhakrishnan's name was when I wanted to find out who was the music director for 'Manichitratazhu' (which was later remade as 'Chandramukhi'). I stored the name in a corner of my mind and did not encounter the name for some more time. Then, when I was watching an interview of the popular Malayalam playback singer M.G.Sreekumar, I came to know that M.G.Radhakrishnan was his elder brother. Much later I came to know that the noted Carnatic musician, Omanakutty, was their sister.

I first saw M G Radhakrishnan on TV screen as a judge for one of the singing shows. He had come in as a 'guest judge'. From the way he passed comments you could clearly make out that he was a very simple and unassuming person. (There is generally lot of 'simplicity' and 'humility' in the music industry, which we need not take seriously but M G Radhakrishnan's simplicity was very genuine.) I liked the comment he made on R D Burman's 'Beeti na Bitayi Raina' sung by one contestant. He said, "If you observe the song, you will find that the song does not have too many complicated phrases, it doesn't have too many brigas and such. But the song goes deep into your heart and pulls at your heart strings, doesn't it?" My respect for him immediately went up. Looked like he was first and foremost a music lover and then only a musician.

While I did see a lot of M G Radhakrishnan on the TV Screen, I still hadn't acquainted myself with his music much, except for 'Manichitratazhu', in which I liked most of the songs. Idea Star Singer on Asianet once had a 'Lalitha Geetha' round, which featured the non-filmi songs composed by M G Radhakrishnan. Every day one of the contestants would sing one of these 'Lalitha Geethams'. I used to wait for them every day since each one of them was based on some carnatic ragam and moreover M G Radhakrishnan would briefly talk about each of these compositions. I liked all of them and was very impressed by the very original use of ragams and the complexity of the tunes.

In one such episode I heard a singer sing a song based on 'Reethigowla'. It was very nice treatment of 'Reethigowla'. Not the standard carnatic style 'Reethigowla' but a more lighter version of it suited for 'Lalitha Ganam'. I thought I should find this song but as it happens I did not note down the song pallavi. So I did not know where to search and did not make any effort to find it. When I heard that M G Radhakrishnan has passed away, I thought one way of paying homage to him would be to discover this song and then make it known to a few more people. I searched the past episodes of Idea Star Singer and finally located the song. That is one song which I will feature in this post.

Doing some more research I also discovered that M G Radhakrishnan worked at AIR and during that time gave many such non-filmi tunes, which were called 'Lalitha Gaanam'. They were supposed to be very popular in Kerala during those times (and even now.) Those who were in Kerala during those times can give their experiences. (Ramki, are you listening?) After listening to many of his compositions I can easily see his originality and the complexity of his compositions. I could make out that he had his own aesthetics and operated in that range, where the tunes were soothing, slow and based on Carnatic ragas.

Now lets hear some of the songs created by M G Radhakrishnan. So I call all of you to 'oru murai vandhu kaeliro'.

Here is the Reethigowla based number I was talking about. I am giving the song as sung by the Idea Star singer contestant since this video features M G Radhakrishnan talking about the song.



Here is a lovely song based on 'Kharaharapriya'. Very pleasing melody.



A lovely melody from the movie 'Jalakam': (Quiz: What ragam is he using here?)



And finally, probably the most famous of his creations. I still get goosebumps when I watch Shobana in this song. Superb portrayal of a person who is mentally unhinged. Based on Kunthalavarali.



P.S.: The Tamil version of this movie had Jyotika doing this dance which was nowhere close to what Shobana did. But the Tamil version had something that Malayalam version did not have and has now become a legend. "Enna Koduma Saravanan"

Comments

Aravindan said…
Oru muRai vandhu paarthaayA is a lovely song indeed. It got stuck in my mind the very first time I listened to it, while watching the movie. Shobhana was brilliant as well.

Nice tribute! Will listen to these songs. Thanks for sharing.
Suresh S said…
Thanks Aravind for the comment. Please do listen to the other songs as well. Each one of them is very pleasant to hear.
ravinat said…
Hi Suresh

The Oru muRai vandhu paarthaya is several cuts above the Tamil version both in terms of music as well as the dancing.

La ka la ka la ka - kalakiteenga!

Ravi Natarajan
Suresh S said…
Thanks Ravi.

I forgot to mention another small episode which showed the music lover side of M G Radhakrishnan. His brother M G Sreekumar once related on TV that after singing his first song for Illayaraja, he went home and sang that song to his brother. Immediately M G Radhakrishnan is supposed to have exclaimed, "What a wonderful Keeravani. Only someone like Illayaraja can come up with such a charming Keeravani" . Very true words.

Check out this song to find out what M G Sreekumar had sung. You will agree with what M G Radhakrishnan said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ6Ky91i78w&feature=related
Alan Pappachan said…
A simple and touching tribute to a simple and unassuming genius.
raagadevan said…
M.G. Radhakrishnan was a musician's musician who never sought fame. Unfortunately, his skills went mostly unrecognized and unacknowledged while he was alive.

A well-written tribute, Suresh. Thank you for sharing your feelings.
Suresh S said…
Thanks raagadevan.

The more I hear his music the more I understand what you say about him being a musician's musician. His tunes are quite complex and very original.

The Hindu had a much elaborate tribute to him (which you had posted in another forum.) It is written by someone who has followed M G Radhakrishnan's career. People can check it out at : http://www.hindu.com/fr/2010/07/09/stories/2010070951000300.htm
Ramki Krishnan said…
Thanks for the nice tribute, Suresh.
I am aware of the AIR program "Lalitha Sangeetha Paadam" that he started, but my neither my Malayalam nor my knowledge of music was good enough to appreciate it :(
Some of his other awesome songs are from Thakara ("Mouname" in Subhapantuvarali), Chaamaram ("Naatha nee varum"), both by Janaki.
The Jaalakam song is in Amrithavarshini, isn't it?
Anonymous said…
Suresh,

Great tribute. I think the Jalakam song is in Amrithavarshini. Sounds heavily watered down though !!

Venkat
Suresh S said…
I too thought that the 'Jalakam' song was a 'modified' Amrithavarshini. A musically knowledgeable friend told me that though the base ragam is Amrithavarshini, a foreign note is taken.
Suresh S said…
Aah. How did I forget the 'Mouname Nirayunnu' song? It was sung very well by a Super Star Global singer 'Roopa'. I remember her taking some tough and not so well known songs and rendering them well. 'mouname', Pughazhendi's 'sundara raavil' and Sharath's 'raavil veena nadham pole'. All very original compositions.
Jujubax said…
Hi Suresh,
Good and well thought out tribute.
The Karahaapriya link was very good.
regards
madhu
Karthika Radhakrishnan said…
I happened to come across this blog by chance. Figured out that you are either a non-malayali or a malayali who has been out of kerala for quite a long time. I couldn't help but comment to your tribute to MGR. I am his daughter and would say that whatever is mentioned in your post made me feel that you have known him in person. Yes, I totally agree that he was first a music lover and then a musician. This is because I have seen the proud look on his face when he listens to good music (be it of anyone).His music did not get any recognition when he was alive - people did not even know that he was the composer of some great classics when they listened to it. It all went to the credit of other music composers.He never complained- did not let us complain either! Happy to see that people have atleast started recognising his genius after his demise. This will help our family survive even through the sadness of his loss.Thankyou Suresh for a great writeup.
Suresh S said…
Dear Karthika,

I am touched by your comment. As you rightly guess I am a non-Malayali and had not listened to your father's music until around a year or so. I was very impressed with his 'Lalitha Geethams' when I heard the singers of Idea Star Singer sing them.

I have been digging out his other gems and songs like 'soorya kireedam' and 'vande mukuda hare' from Devasuram are in a loop for the last one week. His singing in 'vande mukunda hare' is so apt for that character and the emotion that is evoked in inch perfect for that scene.

I am more than sure that quality music will get its due, even if a bit late. Unlike most of other fathers, who leave behind their treasure only to their children, your father has left behind treasure for all of us to hear and enjoy. Which sort of makes us his heirs as well. My condolences to you and your family for this loss. Praying to God that he gives all of you the strength to bear his loss.
Karthika Radhakrishnan said…
Dear Suresh,
Thankyou for your response, it was even more touching.
Btw, I dont think that the light song "Sreeragom paadum veene" posted in your writeup is composed by achan. Yes, the 'pakkala' bit captured in the song is my dad's voice, but I doubt about the music. Let me try and find out and will come back to you.
Thanks again Suresh.
Suresh S said…
Dear Karthika,

Thanks again. Do let me know about the 'sreeragam' song. In youtube I saw the composer as your father. Hence I put it up. In case that is not so, I will update the blog accordingly.

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala