One Song at a time: 46. Moham Kondu Njan


(Johnson)

Malayalam Music Director Johnson passed away recently. I knew about Johnson, had watched him on TV where he was judging a singing talent hunt show. Also knew that he had got two National awards and he was well known in Kerala for both his songs and his background scores (for which he had received the National Award.) Unfortunately I had heard very less of the songs he had composed. Once I happened chance upon a HMV collection of 15 of his songs titled, 'Nostalgia' and bought it. I was impressed with  all the songs in that CD. Added to it I had heard a few more on youtube but overall my exposure to his music has been limited.

I  anyway had  'moham kondu njan' listed in my internal database as a song which I should feature in this series. So I thought I will put it up today in honor of Johnson. As I said earlier, I had not heard enough of him to get an idea of his individuality. All I could observe is that his best songs were melodies, based on different ragas, something which almost all Malayalam music directors used to do those days. Many songs had the melancholic touch and the orchestration was quite good. Some of the songs reminded me of Telugu music director Ramesh Naidu, in the mood they evoked. Since my exposure to both the personality and music of Johnson is limited, I cannot put up a proper tribute to him. Instead I will put up this song here and then give you a link which has many Johnson's songs.

'moham kondu njan', I don't know how I discovered this song. It was probably during one of those youtube browsing sessions when I must have landed on this. The song is riveting right from the beginning. (What ragam is it based on?) Janaki, as usual, sings impeccably. The orchestrations in the interlude remind me of Illayaraja. In fact one of the reasons this song caught my ear is that it was almost structured like an Illayaraja song!! The same precision, lovely orchestration and Janaki. From the movie, "Shesham Kaazhchayil". According to youtube, lyrics are by 'Konniyoor Bhas'. Enjoy this song.



Another song of Johnson, which impressed me the very first time I heard it was 'Aadi Vaa Katre'. This was the very first song in the CD I bought. Another lovely melody. From the movie, 'Koodevide?', lyrics of ONV Kurup and voice of Janaki. Such a lilting song. The pallavi itself is very soothing at the same time complex. If you hear this song you will know that the Malayalam music directors reputation for melody is well earned.



Another song which caught my fancy and when I tweeted about caught the fancy of my friend was 'Gopike nin viral'. There is a slight Sriragam touch in this song. The veena interludes are well structured, the song mellifluous. Added to it a young Srividya and a younger Revathi. What is there not to like in this song?!!



Finally, a lovely Anandha Bhairavi based melody. This is very typical Malayalam songs sound of the 70s and 80s. Lovely reworking of the raga. Fresh while retaining the nativity and classicism. M G Sreekumar sings the lyrics of Kaithapram.



My twitter friend, who goes by the handle @MusicAloud had put up a list of Johnson's songs to hear as a tribute playlist to him. Do visit this link and you will get to hear some very nice songs.



Let us pray that the soul of this man, who gave us so many melodies, rests in peace

P.S.: My sincere thanks to my friend Rajeev Ramachandran who had sent me a list of Johnson melodies to hear and write about.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Suresh,
Thanks for your Sincere efforts .
Tahnks for the nos. Now only i knew about his songs.

REally He is a Nice composer. Missed him.RIP.

i had heard these songs during my age of 19 from Radio station.
Thanks for the youtube links Suresh.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
Suresh,
Thanks for the post, nice melodies indeed and enjoyed them.
Best Regards,
N.R. Ramesh.
Unknown said…
Hi...Good post...but the song Moham Kondu Njaan was sung by Lathika and not S.Janaki contrary to the popular belief...

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala