One Song at a time: 44. Aayiram Paadasarangal

(Devarajan)

An important aspect for which music is used in films is to create a 'mood'. While most of the time, the mood is an emotional one, sometimes a temporal mood is sought to be created. Our classical music has mapping of ragas to both emotional moods and temporal moods. By temporal mood, I mean the ragas ability to evoke images of a particular time of day.

For me, this mapping has been problematic. I believe lot of this mapping is culture specific and in many cases your mapping may not agree with the traditional mapping. For example, no one would have a problem if Subhapanthuvarali is mapped to sadness. But to what mood would you map Kalyani or Thodi? Many say Bhairavi is a raga of sadness but I find it one of joy. S.R.Janakiraman, after singing a Mukhari song asks, "Where is the sadness in this?" He was referring to the oft repeated assertion that Mukhari is only fit for crying!!

If emotional mapping can be so problematic, you can be sure the temporal mapping is even more problematic. Ofcourse, we all know that ragas like Bowli and Bhoopalam immediately conjure the images of dawn in our minds but beyond them, there isn't much!! Hindustani music has a time to raga mapping which is quite strictly adhered to by most performers . Does the said raga actually evokes the time of day. I am not convinced. For example, I always associate Hamir Kalyani with the period just before dawn. (Maybe it is due to 'thoomani maadathu') My mother also feels the same. If I am not mistaken, this is an evening melody in Hindustani music.

Film songs of yesteryears mostly strive to get the emotional aspect correct but there are quite a few songs which try to evoke the temporal aspect. Some examples that come to mind include Sathyam's two superb compositions, 'thellavaraka munde' and 'tholi sandhya velalo' both of which take you to a seashore when the sun is just rising, Shankar Jaikshen's wonderful, 'yeh shaam ki tanhaiyan' which evokes the dusk hour, S D Burman's 'chand phir nikla' which evokes the early part of the night. To this I would add the song we will hear today, Devarajan Master's 'aayiram paadasarangal' from the movie 'Nadhi', which evokes a late night mood.

Devarajan Master was the uncrowned king amongst the Malayalam music directors during the late 60s and the 70s. He has given many many hits which have become part of Kerala culture. (The first song of his I heard was in post graduate days. 'chakravarthini ninakku ngyan' which is a very popular song. ) Devarajan used many ragas with his own stamp on them and created delectable melodies. In this particular song, he uses 'Darbari Kanada' to create the night mood. Right from the start the orchestration  builds up the ambiance nicely. Jesudas's ringing voice at his prime, clinging to the sruthi, adds beauty to this atmospheric melody. One of the songs where the melody and the picturization match up very well.

Whichever time of the day you are hearing it, Devarajan Master will take you deep into the night.

Comments

Mukund said…
Excellent song - am reminded of "Sivashankari" by Ghantasala, and "Aagaya vennilaave" by Maestro.
Anonymous said…
As a weather scientist, I understand that whether it is Hindustani or Carnatic, the ragas have a diurnal variation of temperature. Our mood also varies accordingly. As sun rises, it is an indication that he is going to rule this earth- hence Bhoo(earth)paalam fits well at that time. And this temperature differs from place to place. If you are on Tirumala, definitely 'malayamaarutam' excites. By the name Darbari, it is suppposed to be sung in the court of king. If you creat an artificial court in your mind, the mood automatically gets created.For some, Bhageshri is also a raga of sadness. Nee kosame ne jeevinchunadi- is an example. But Rajeshwararao could make lovely javali-Nagumomu choopinchavaa gopaalaa and a praising song of beauty: Kila kila nagavula nava mohini. In both, the word nagu/nagavu means smile. Hence, one can adhere to timings as well as come out of them as long as the beauty of the raga is not damaged.
Suresh S said…
Mukund,

I can understand those two songs coming to your mind. I think the song which is in the same spirit as 'aayiram padasarangal' is 'kalyana then nila' which also gives us a late evening ambiance.
Suresh S said…
Venugopal gaaru,

Superb comment. I like your interpretation Bhoopalam and Malayamarutham.

"Hence, one can adhere to timings as well as come out of them as long as the beauty of the raga is not damaged."

Excellently put. I fully agree with you on this.
Aakarsh said…
The song is very good!

I agree with your issue of mapping problems. I think it is a science by itself. Imagine, Bhairavi is sadness for few while it is devotion for few others. I always associated Kalyani is festivity and traditional celebrations, although I cannot quote the example through which my brain mapped that raaga to those emotions. For many Sivaranjani is sadness (oh my wife dislikes this raaga a lot :-)), which i agree, going by the aarohana-avarohana but at the same time, i feel that it can be presented in a non-sad way.

And in this song, did you feel "night" mood because of the arrangements (in many cases, I think it is the arrangements that add to the desired effect rather than tune, unless the tune is very Peelu/Ahir Bhairavi etc oriented; there are exceptions).
Suresh S said…
Nice question Kamal. I think the tune contributes to the night mood as much as the orchestration. As I had said to Mukund earlier, you can get the same feeling is you hear 'kalyana then nila'. Just the tune that is.
Jujubax said…
Hi Suresh
Very nice one.Keep them coming.
cheers,madhu
Anonymous said…
To Akarsh now,
Oh, No! Why she dislikes Shivaranjani? If it were so, then what about Revati (Hindustani-Bairaagi)? Ghantasala in his Bandipotu film changed this notion and tuned 'Vagala Raanivi Neeve' in Shivaranjani only as a teasing song. While MSV did first for 'Naan', Kodandapani restructured the duet song to 'chaladaa ee chotu' (Nenante Nene), another good example of Shivaranjani. When MSV did 'ee teega puvvunu ee komma tetini' (Maro Charitra) in Revati, its Hindi version (tere mere beech me) fell in the hands of Shivaranjani. Both are for Happy moody fellows.
Suresh, sorry for the u-turn from darbari to shivaranjani.
Suresh S said…
Guru,

This is no U-turn. It is a lovely discussion. Afterall we are talking about raagas and the mood they create. I am sure Kamal will be happy to show these examples to his wife and change her opinion :)
Aakarsh said…
Thanks VenuGopal,

There are very few instances where she likes Sivaranjani - when it is masked! :-) She feels even Tere Mere Beech (Beach :-) ) mein also reeks some sadness, which I dont contest - because I admit I dont like that song myself. She however likes "Abbanee Theeyyani Dhebba", Ilaiyaraaja's sivaranjani (which I dont like again - I rate his Vaa Vaa anbe Anbe higher than that - but my wife find Va Va Anbe sad again). Perceptions :-)

But my wife spooked out on the sivaranjani traces in "Kanulu Kanulanu Dochaayante" (ARR's Thiruda Thiruda)!

I presume her aversion towards Sivaranjani is because our composers have done it to death with all Sad songs (Dost Dost na Raha, Jaane Kahan Gaye woh din etc). Also because of the way the raaga sends vibes.

Not sure about Bairaagi - never had a discussion about that raaga till now. need to explore.
Anonymous said…
Since Suresh permitted, I will take the 'express way'- Revati was made popular by none other than the Great MS madam (Naanaati baduku naatakamu-Annamayya samkeertanam). In films, KVM did for 'SiriSiri Muvva' (Jhummandi naadam).Then Rajan-Nagendra made Revati as their signature- 'Maanasa veena madhugeetam (and one charanam- E raagamo emo mana anuraagam),Naagamallivo teegamallivo neeve raajakumaari, bandeya baalina belakaagi, etc. Chakravarty made the snake hiss song- Ragulutondi mogalipoda. Satyam praised Rajahmundry through 'Vedamlaa ghoshinche Godaavari'. Over to Hindi- Rafi's song 'Main ik Raajaa hun' is in Bairaagi. Today it was a coincidence that I could listen to 'Bairaagi Bhairav' on Vivid Bharati-Sangeet Sarita. A good composition of Ravindra Jain is available.Coming back to Darbari, just listen to MSV's 'muthukile' and Pendyala's 'Vinnaanule Priyaa. MSV's 'sarigamalu galagalalu', 'piliche naa madilo valape needisumaa'---what a wonderful composition each was!
Suresh S said…
Gurugaaru,

What a lovely post. Excellent examples as well. Infact I was planning to feature a couple of these songs in my blog. 'jummandi naadam' for sure. You can expect that in the near future.

Thanks again for your wonderful comment.
Raj said…
A pleasing song! But suresh, I have not enjoyed Devarajan's music that much because I find something always missing despite his use of some beautiful ragas.Moreover,a singer by name Madhuri sang a lot of songs for him (I am not sure if she even sang for any other MD) and the voice and the way of her rendering are not to my liking(here too maybe opinions and perceptions differ just like the 'moods of ragas').

I also read with interest all the comments.I am surprised that Kamal did not mention 'Adi Aaathadi'for Shivaranjani.

And that Revati/Bhargi Bhairav discussion also makes no mention of Raaja's wonderful revatis.I request Mr.Venugopal to listen to 'Kanavu Ondru Thondruthe', 'Soolam' 'Amma azhage' and the 'Kazhugu' theme.
Suresh S said…
Raj,

Nice comments which can provoke a good discussion. On my part, I like a lot of Devarajan's songs other than this. I haven't heard much of Madhuri's song though I know she has sung a lot for him. My favorites have more been the songs he gave to Jesudas, Susheela and Leela. That he is a musical legend in Kerala cannot be denied. But I agree with you that musical tastes can also differ.

Excellent examples of Shivaranjani and Revathi. All those songs are amazing songs.
Alan Pappachan said…
Revisiting this blog post. I'm too much of a novice to even understand the depth of some of the comments here, let alone the analysis in the post. But I can assure you that I just love this song to bits having heard my father sing it umpteen times in my childhood. The mood it creates, the simplicity and paradoxical depth of the lyrics: at one level a simple graphic description of a scene and at another abstract and open to interpretation. Another song I love equally is "Sangamam, sangamam, triveni sangamam. Sringara padamaadum yaamam, madalasa yaamam".

Yesudas - as usual - is flawless.
Suresh S said…
Thanks for the comment Alan. I remember you writing in a mail that you love this song and I was thinking of you when I posted this song. The greatness of yesterday year songs were exactly what you said. So simple, lyrically and musically, and yet having so much depth.

And thanks for 'sangamam' song. Lovely one.

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala