One song at a time - 20. Ponezhil Poothadhu Pudhuvaanail

(Panju Arunachalam)

Almost anyone who is out of his / her comfort zone longs to be back to the comforting lap of familiarity. It was the same with me in Hyderabad in the olden days as far as Tamil film songs were concerned.

I used to listen to Telugu and Hindi songs throughout the day. And seven days a week. And I loved those songs. Yet, Tamil film songs, by the sheer familiarity of the language, sounded additionally sweet to my ears. Especially since they were not easily available. I used to tune in at 4pm on Sundays when Madras AIR would broadcast the latest songs and also at 10pm on Monday evening, when the same radio station would broadcast old classics. The Sunday songs were not a given to me since we would go out to play some sports but my ears were glued to the radio on Monday nights. I did not want to miss out hearing those great songs. To give credit where due, whoever chose the songs had great taste and here is where I heard all the standard classics of Tamil films. 'malardhum malaradha', 'mannavan vandhanadi', 'maraindhirudhe paarkum', 'ennai yaar enru' and lots and lots more.

It was on one of those Monday nights, the lights turned off and sound at a minimum, in order not to disturb the sleeping family members, and my ears literally attached to the speakers of the transistor, that I heard this song for the first time. The tune starts of with TMS singing 'sivagami' and Susheela responding with her humming. As soon as the words, 'ponezhil poothadhu pudhu vaanil' came through, it was nectar to my ears. Because the familiar struck me with a strong force. The words themselves were such a delight and so very typically Tamil in nature. 'ponezhil and puthu vaanam'. The tune was the next surprise. It should not have been given that was a MSV tune. The rhythm has a very modern structure. The charanam's accentuate the strong Tamil feel with the very typical Tamil words flowing so very smoothly. And the melody sort of feels complete when Susheela enters with her honey dripping vocals. Her singing and her pronunciation of Tamil lifts the song a step higher. (It still surprises me as to how Susheela nails every Tamil syllable to perfection while singing but when you hear her speak you can clearly make out she is not a Tamilian. The currently out of fashion aspects of dedication and hard work may have something to do with it.)

(The reverse happened to me when I moved to Chennai. Having only a radio and a TV without cable, I would long to hear some Telugu songs and Telugu movies. Just wanted to hear that language. Nowadays with so many channels blaring out similar outlandish songs in all languages, all I long for is some silence.)

Here is our song of the day. Don't go by what you see in the video. The lyricist is neither Kannadasan nor Vaali. The lyrics are by Panju Arunachalam. He does a superb job here.

Comments

Raj said…
Nice post on a wonderful song!

If I am not wrong, this was Panchu's first song as a lyricist.Panchu Arunachalam,who is the nephew of Kannadasan and was his 'copywriter' too.During composing sessions,as Kannadasan recites the words(like a waterfalls), Panchu would take them down and finally give it to the Music Director.

An excellent lyricist who-I feel- is underrated.

I am sure you know that this is a dream sequence with the Hero playing Mahendra Pallavan and the heroine playing Sivakami-a fictitious character created by the great Tamizh writer Kalki.

And what canone say about the tune..

Simply haunting!!

I fully agree with your comments on Suseela.In fact, I have noticed this with Janaki and to a certain extent with SPB too..
Suresh S said…
Thanks Raj for the comments. As usual your comments add a lot of value to the post.

Yes, Panju Arunachalam used to be the 'copywriter' as you say, for Kannadasan. I have read the author Sujatha explaining how the song 'engeyum eppodum' was born, how Kannadasan recited the verse and how Panju Arunachalam wrote it down with his immaculate handwriting. Wasn't aware this was his first song. Definitely something he can be proud about.
Anonymous said…
Suresh

Are you sure this is by Panju Arunachalam ? The credits in Tamil in the beginning of this song telecast on Raj TV says "Paadal : Kaannadasan - Vaali"

Venkat
Anonymous said…
Did some more Googling and apparently yes, the lyrics are by Panju Arunachalam. Apologies. Thinking in restrospect, there is no way you could have missed that either !!

Good post.

Venkat
Suresh S said…
Venkat,

I knew this confusion would happen to those who see the video. That is why I wrote, "Don't go by what you see in the video". I guess that was too ambiguous and I should have made it more clearer.
Aakarsh said…
Nice song. Liked it. :-)
Ramki Krishnan said…
Lovely song. I especially like the word-play in "un iru kan pattu pun patta nenchatthil un pattu kai pada paadukiren"!

- Ramki.
Suresh S said…
Very true Ramki. That is the place I also like. Very nice word play.
//all I long for is some silence.

true.

good post; took me back twenty years.
alesum said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Well… round about every blog posts online don’t have much originality as I found on yours.. Just keep updating much useful information so that reader like me would come back over and over again.
Anonymous said…
What a song!

Yes. It was very much penned by Panju Arunachalam.

You have written so much about this song. I can just say.. I love this song :)

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala