Mohanam : A World Wide View


Update: One of my good friends, who is a also a musician, wrote to me to say that the rock songs that I had quoted do not strictly follow the scale of Mohanam and the suddha madhyamam and nishadam do peep in. In other words they are not strictly following the pentatonic scale. I wouldn't doubt his take on this subject. I could 'hear' Mohanam in them so I put them there but someone technically may make out that this is not the pentatonic scale. I would still leave these clips here for two reasons: One, they are nice songs. So no harm hearing them, even if they are not pentatonic. Two, it sort of tell me that I still have a long way to go when it comes to matters of music. // End Update

Some scales / ragas seem to affect all of humanity. Mohanam is one such ragam which is found in different musical systems. I had written about this briefly when I wrote the article on Kalyani and Mohanam: The versatile cousins. Today I want to give you some examples and convince you that Mohanam indeed is used in many parts of the world.

Before we begin our journey, let me state a couple of things. One, I am not touching Indian music. Second, the Mohanam you will hear in other systems may not be easily graspable sometimes but I  believe you should be able to 'get it'. I say this because once I played the krithi, 'Mohana Rama' to my friend Venkatesh and told him that the Allman Brothers song, "Jessica" was based on this same raga. He told me that he just couldn't connect them !!! I am hoping that the examples I give would be easy enough to grasp the essence of Mohanam. (My assumption ofcourse is that you already know the basic contours of Mohanam. Else you should check out songs like 'lahiri lahiri lahiri lo' (Maya Bazar, Telugu), 'ninnu kori varnam' (Agni Nakshatram, Tamil), 'katru veliyidai kannama'(Kappalotiya Tamizhan, Tamil), 'yaava janmada maitri' (Gowri, Kannada), 'pankh hoti to ud aati re' (Sehra, Hindi) etc. Classical krithis include 'nanu palimpa' and 'mohana raama' of Tyagaraja, 'Kaapali' of Papanasam Sivan) )

Mohanam is a part of the pentatonic scale of Western Music. There are five ragas in this scale, each of which can be got from the other through the shift of the tonic / adhara shruthi. We call this grahabedam. The five ragas of this group are: Mohanam, Suddha Saveri, Suddha Dhanyasi, Madhyamavathi and Hindolam. Mohanam is called as Bhoop or Bhoopali in Hindustani music.

That was a rather lengthy preamble. Let us get to the point now. Since we are talking about the world wide impact of Mohanam, let us start with a group ruled a large of the world once upon a time. Here is 'Hey Jude' from Beatles. I heard that this was written by Paul McCartney for Lennon's son. Right from the very first phrase that McCartney sings, I hear Mohanam. Ofcourse in western music you have scale changes happening in the middle of songs. So don't expect every song to stick to Mohanam throughout.



Now for the song I had written about earlier. Allman Brother's Band, "Jessica". The initial part of the song may not immediately conjure up Mohanam. Wait till around two and half mins into the video and you shall be rewarded when Mohanam leaps at you during the piano run. This lovely piano run is followed by an equally charming guitar work, where the guitarist keeps the feel of Mohanam intact. Mohanam or not, this is divine music. Just enjoy this song written by Dickey Betts.



We will now play one more mellow Mohanam. This time it is by Crosby, Stills Nash and Young, popularly known as CSNY. The guitar in the background keeps playing Mohanam and the overall melody is very touching indeed.



If you though Mohanam can be used mainly for mellow and melodious songs, think again. In what was a 'once in a century event', Country Joe McDonald sings one of the most popular protest songs of those times. At Woodstock everyone sings along with this anti-Vietman war song, "Feel like I am fixing to die". What energy in the song and to ears, a wonderful Mohanam as well !!! Even if you have no clue on Mohanam, watch the video to have an idea of what  Woodstock and protest was all about.



I do hear Mohanam in this very 'rockish' number by Stevie Ray Van, especially when he does his solo part. Check if you can hear it or are my ears so tuned to Mohanam that they hear it in everything!!!



There are many more examples of Mohanam in rock music but I am sure the examples given above have convinced you. So let us now move to other countries in the world. Before that, let me do two things. One thank my friend Venkatesh for having introduced me to these wonderful rock numbers more than a decade and half back. Two, let me say that the rock numbers I quoted above are songs which I have been hearing for a long time. Whereas the songs I am going to list down now are songs which I searched on youtube for this post. I am neither an authority on them nor do I have much background about them. I loved these songs and the Mohanam feel in them. So I present those to you here.

First off, a very interesting musical instrument this, from Thailand. This person is playing Mohanam on it. Do have a look, you will definitely be impressed with this instrument and the playing. The beat and the music remind me of a latest Indian film song. I wouldn't be surprised about it given the international inspiration of our current music directors.



Once during an official visit to Japan, I happened to watch TV late one night and I saw a man singing with a glass of Sake in his hand. And he was singing Mohanam!!! When I enquired about it the next day, I was told that the form of music rendered was known as 'Enka'. He is one such "Enka' song. It is Mohanam as good as it gets.



Since the Japanese love this scale / ragam, let us play one more Japanese song. A lovely song.



One Mohanam from our neighbours, the Chinese, who too use this often in their music.



Beyond the Far East, here is one Mohanam from Ethiopia. Other than the ragam, dance style and the amateurish video are also common with our film songs of yore!!



Another Ethiopian song, this time with more class and seems like it is their classical music. An enjoyable song.



This Albanian song seems to have the flavour of Mohanam. Do you also feel the same way?



Well, I am more than sure that if we dig deeper, we will get more such examples throughout the world. In short, Mohanam is a truly global raga / scale. Maybe in future we can look at Mohanam in Indian music. That ofcourse would be material for multiple posts!!

Comments

Raj said…
The moment I saw the title, I assumed that you would have taken up a plethora of songs right from S.D.Burman upto Vidhyasagar..And how happy I am now to have been proved wrong.

An insightful, innovative and well-researched effort from you though I must admit that I did not listen to all the songs/bits in full(shall do it soon!).

Talking about Mohanam, yes..it is found everywhere.The Omnipresent and of course the Omnipotent.

Is it without any reason that it is one of the names of Lord Krishna?
Suresh S said…
Thanks Raj for the comment.

I have a request to make. Can you get to hear the songs once. I would like to know your perception if these are indeed Mohanam. The reason I say is what my friend told me, that of the pentatonics resembling each other since these are very scale based rendition. In other words you can mistake say Suddha Dhanyasi for Monaham. Let me know what you feel about the raga of the songs.
Raj said…
Shall surely do it..Just give me some time...
Aakarsh said…
This was unexpected. And such a wonderful effort. Glad to have known you, because I dont usually come across people who are willing to explore music patterns and unravel the mysteries contained in them, that probably we, with our little knowledge, can identify with. Listened to all the tracks and loved them all. I dont know if some of them are pure Mohana (based on the feel). Because technically they might be so and yet the feel might not reflect the same. Yet the mohanam in some of the tracks is very discernible. How did you manage to get them all?

Enjoyed the post. So what next? A western take on raag patdeep? :-)
Suresh S said…
Kamal,

Thanks for the comment.

To be very honest, it is very much possible that not all of these are Mohanam based. One of my musically knowledgeable friend had written to me stating that most of the rock songs quoted do have other swaras in them like 'ma1' and ni3'. So we can't probably go with them as Mohanam in the pure sense.

Another problem here is that when the notes are played with gamakas, depending on how we perceive the tonic, we can hear Mohanam even if Suddha Dhanyasi is being played!!!

So I am very much open to corrections. Waiting for some more reactions before I update the post. I have also request Raj to give his opinion. I personally feel the Albanian song is probably in another pentatonic raga and not Mohanam. Anyway this is a nice exercise. Let's us understand where all similar ragas exists and also lets us understand our own limitations in terms of our perceptions.
Suresh S said…
.. and no. I don't think 'Patdeep' travels beyond Hindustani music :)
Suresh S said…
Oops. Realized that I made a blunder in my earlier comment. The line, "when the notes are played with gamakas" should actually read, "when the notes are NOT played with gamakas"
Raj said…
Hi Suresh,

Sorry for the delay!I wanted to listen to all the tracks very carefully before posting the comment.

First of all, let us understand that you are talking about a scale and not a raga.A scale in strict western terminology need not follow the rigid rule of having only the notes that are supposed to belong to it.

Therefore, I feel all the tracks follow the pentatonic scale of sa ri ga pa dha.Yes..there is a mix of alien notes as well but that doesn't really matter.

I can quote many film songs that are said to be in Mohanam but these have alien notes too..
'Kannan oru kai kuzhandhai' 'ABC nee vaasi'-just 2 examples.

And regarding Mohanam or S.Dhanyasi, listen to 'Vaa pon mayile' from PoonthaLir.I hear Mohanam while some say they hear S.Dhanyasi!

In any case, a very well researched article by you and you deserve a huge round of applause from all of us..

Personally, I am very happy since you made me listen to all these great works!

Thanks!!

Raj
Suresh S said…
Raj,

Appreciate your help here. I know there are lot of clips and you going through all of them and putting in your comments is very nice.

Yes. I meant the Mohanam as a pentatonic scale. Not the Mohana ragam per se, as you rightly surmise.

I have also seen people argue about Mohanam, Suddhadhanyasi in songs. I too feel the songs quoted by you 'kannan oru kaikuzhandhai' and "ABC" are in Mohanam but in alien notes.

Thanks once again.
Suresh, As usual a nice post and not sure how you searched out Mohanam pieces from other languages..
With my poor note discerning ability, I could not get the Mohanam scale/effect in the Western examples. But the Japanese ones immediately stuck a chord and they sounded very close to our Carnatic Mohanam. Both were nice numbers. The Ethiopian ones were again less similar to my ears. The Albanian one evoked more a Suddhadhanyasi 'feel'..
I have a CD of G S Mani, where he again quotes several eastern examples of Mohanam.
Thanks for the nice post.
Jujubax said…
Hi Suresh,
Excellent panoramic view of Mohanam.
I really enjoyed the post.
cheers,
madhu

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala