Pancham and Us - Part 1: Guest post by Ravi Natarajan


Some posts provoke lot of comments and some pass by without any comment. In case of R D Burman, I was sure lot of people would have lot to say, given that his music has impacted so many. My good friend Ravi Natarajan, mailed me asking if there was any limit on number of words that he could write in the comment section. When I replied that I didn't mind any length in the comment section, he came back by saying, "Why not I do a guest post on RDB". I was overjoyed and immediately took the offer.

Ravi is a technologist based in Canada. He has a wonderful blog on Illayaraja wherein he discusses the intricacies of Raja's music. This is a well liked blog and is often referred to by all Illayaraja fans. Check out his Raja, The Genius blog . (You can see it in my blog roll as well.)  Additionally Ravi, who is very influenced by writer Sujatha, writes about Technology in Solvanam. He also writes about India and Development Issues in Thinnai. Here is an article he wrote for Thinnai about 'The 50 ft Divide' (In Tamil) and here is an article about 'Scientific Computing'  written for Solvanam. (In Tamil)

My sincere thanks to Ravi for doing this guest post. He has promised me that couple more posts will follow. Eagerly looking forward to them as well. I now hand over this page to Ravi.

I could not use the topic ‘Rahul and I’ as Asha Bhonsle has already taken that topic and I have no intention of competing with such a legend even for a topic. I thought of using ‘Pancham undiscovered’ and they have released a CD of RD Burman’s background score in that name. Damn! I put these two together to get to our topic. My friend CSR has been pushing me to write about Pancham’s music for a while and I was not sure about the response. If this post gets received well, I can try my hand with ‘Raja and Rahul’ some day! Thanks to Suresh for this opportunity or else I may be testing the length limit of the ‘comment’ feature in blogger!

While I heard a number of music composers in my childhood, it was mostly their ‘songs’. I never bothered to figure out the composer nor the techniques they were employing. My first composer has always been RD Burman – and first impressions last. There are two childhood predictions that I made musically that turned out to be true and I am very proud of both. When I first heard SPB in the 60s, I was able to predict the voice of the next fifty years.  When I started listening to RD, it was his strange unconventional sounds from the conga drum that attracted me. Just that sound revealed the new chapter in film music. Following the conga sounds of RD, I started familiarizing myself with his special tabla and the guitar.  Soon, I could tell a RD song from Laxmi Pyare, Kalyanji and so on.  The prediction I made on RD was not entirely true. I predicted that he would be the star composer till his death. He did die as a star composer, but had a decade of lull before that.

Firstly, RD is confused with his dad SD (Sachin) by a number of South Indians. Aradhana, Mili and Abhiman were SD’s compositions. I started appreciating SD only after hearing RD’s songs – too bad! Mili was SD’s last film. I started appreciating RD’s music before I learnt a word of Hindi. It is ironical that today I know the language very well and the current crop of composers in Bollywood do not impress me anymore! In this post, we will cover RD at the 30,000 foot level. We will cover his various faculties, orchestration, classical grounding, folk, melody compositions and also his modernization of Hindi film music in the 70s and early 80s. These are in no particular order. We will use youtube videos to illustrate.

Let’s start with his first film – Chote Nawab in 1961. What a title! Dad was the music king already. Pancham’s score with Lata was in his dad’s style but a fantastic tune, ‘Ghar Aaja Ghir Aaye Badra’ : 


Listening to this track, you can tell the arrival of a new era. Lataji recollects in her memoirs about this track very dearly.  Magnificent composition for a Bengali lad in the Hindi world!

Let’s take a classical trip of RD Burman’s work. He has been criticized for improper use of Ragas by experts and also complimented for some fantastic work too.  Most North Indian musicians got off base when they could not deal with RD’s guitar chords in his classical compositions. Let’s first start with his Kedar composition ‘Yun Neendh Ne Jaane Chaman’ from Dard Ka Rishta (1982) where Sunil Dutt plays the cardiologist. Kishore is pitch perfect:


Set to Malkauns, here is a great composition from Namkeen sung by Kishoreda. The unmistakable RD congo  is all over the place. Great string and guitar work:


One of the best haunting melodies in Hindi cinema, Mere Naina from Mehbooba (1976) is set to Sivaranjani.

Let’s get a bit more classical, pure Bhairav – Meete Bhole Bhole from Kinara (1977), sang by Bhupinder (his guitarist). I could not source the youtube video for this track. Brilliant composition that will make any classical musician sit up.

When I speak about RD with fans of other MDs, they get confused as though I am too unsure about who is the best. As I tend to enjoy any good music, I always think of the famous RD composition in Khamaj, Kuch to Log Kahenge, Logon ka kaam hai kehna from Amar Prem (1973)…Kishoreda at his best.


Next, another classical sample, this time with Pahadi, from the film Aap ki Kasam (1974), a brilliant melody – Karvatein Badalte …Lata and Kishore at their best.

Another immortal melody of Pancham from Amar Prem (1973), Raina Beeti Jaaye sang brilliantly by Lataji, is set to Gurjari Todi raga,

Pancham enjoyed a great rapport with Gulzar similar to MSV and Kannadasan. Pancham, Ashaji and Gulzar got off the film format compulsions and did a great album called ‘Dil Padosi Hain’. The first track of this album – Bheeni Bheeni Bhor is set to Todi and sang fantastically by Ashaji:


In his last film, 1942, a love story (1991), Pancham did a great Desh composition, Pyar Hua Chupke Se sang by Kavita..


In the early 80s, when I moved to North India, RD was very handy for me. I would introduce ‘Rasati Unnai Kanatha Nenju’ to my North Indian friends after breaking the ice with a typical RD melody such as ‘Phir Wohi Raat Hai’. Let’s get off the classical track and get to some serious melody of RD. It is so hard to list them all. Here are my top 10 Lata picks for RD.

Naa Jaa O Meri Ham Dum from Pyar Ka Mausam (1960s). You can see the use of bongos in this track extensively. The arrangement of this song is very different from his later 70s style.


Aaj Kal Paaon Zammen Par from Ghar…


The violins and the guitar in this song is way ahead of its time. Great lyrics by Gulzar. Aaina Wahi Rehta Hai from Shalimar…

Great use of the tabla – typical RD style. Ae Ri Pawan from Bhemisal (1982). Watch the tabla and the congo in tandem. Lata delivers her magic…


Bahon Mein Chali from Ananmika (1973) with Jaya. The congo in this track is a RD signature.


Naa Koi Umang Hai from Kati Patang (1972). This song was such a stealer that it broke all language barriers. I particularly like the  use of flute in this song to bring out the pathos…


Do Nainon Mein from Khusboo (1975).



The first clip has the song in the album with the signature RD tabla. The second clip is from the film. If any of the competition kids can sing the second track as is, they can be the next Shreya Goshal!

Jaane Kya Baat Hai from Sunny (1984). This has all the attractive melody elements of his 1970s work. For some reason, he fell off the popular taste at this time…


Tere Bina Jiye Jaye Naa from Ghar. I particularly like the guitar strum that is used throughout this track with the tabla and the bass guitar. Very ahead of its time.


Lastly, Ab Ke Naa Sawan Barse by Gulzar for Kinara.  Well written, composed and sung.

There is so much to write about RD Burman. Perhaps in the next part, we can cover Kishore, Asha and some duets.

Comments

Aakarsh said…
Quite an ambitious attempt to condense lot of his work in 1 post :-)

My thoughts:

1. Ghar Aaja Ghir aayi, in malkunji, was easily the most popular song. But i think, Chote Nawaab, as an album as such, is one of the most stunning debuts in Indian Film Music. RD made Lata do a very Asha-territory song "Matwaale Aankhon waale", with Arabian music arrangements. Stealer of song. And there is a Rafi solo "Ilahi Tu Sunle" that can probably be ranked to the class of SD-Rafi solos.

2. Hindustani music expert Rajan Parrikar once highlighted "Yun Neend" in his article on raag Shyam Kalyan: http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit07222002/musicarts.asp So i think it is not kedar.

3. Meethe Bol Bole from Kinaara seems Bhairavi to me. No? Kinaara album is a classic alum. RD somehow tuned amazingly with Gulzar.And I think it is indeed a feat to make someone's metre-less poetry sound musical.No wonder Gulzar calls RD as his anchor.Naam Gum jaayega, Abke na saawan barse became popular. But just revisit "Jaane kya sochkar nahi guzra" and "Koi nahi hai kahi". While Jaane Kya sochkar seems like a reverse construction of LP's "suno sajna", the raaga in "Koi Nahi" is still mysterious,particularly the transformation in charanams.

4. Mere Naina is probably the first Sivaranjani that sounded very different, in Hindi film music. There were sivaranjanis by shankar-jaikishan etc but this one was different.

5. Aap ki Kasam had another brilliant composition "Zindagi ke safar mein", RD's behag exploration (that infact even journeys through bahaar and miya ki malhar, both in a single interlude! Bloody Genius!). I love even "Chori Chori Chupke chupke", which is believed to be in Chaaya Natt.

6. There is nothing to talk about Amar Prem.he just nailed it,in every song and interlude.

7. It is indeed wonderful to see someone mention "Dil Padosi Hai",a brilliant album. The songs spanned lot of variety. The folksy Maanjhi Re (count the number of tablas in this song and observe the whole percussion ensemble) and Jhoote Tere Nain were stealers. Also the overall sound he gave to the album - impeccable!

8. RD's Bengali work, particularly the non-film songs, reveal his genius even more. Try songs such as "Na De Ko Na" or "Banshi shune ki" or even this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOjHg8dCx9E - evidences that this man dared to and succeeded in thinking differently. Unfortunately, not many are aware of the treasure trove he left in Bengali.

9. RD was a fantastic singer too. People think that the grunting voice experiments were the ones he created but not many know the songs in his original voice. He used to teach the songs(not only his, but even SD's songs) to Lata, Asha, Kishore & Rafi.

10. I think Pyaar Hua Chupke se is Chaaya Natt.It is a superb composition and he left us with a tight slap/bang on our faces!

By the way, a documentary was made recently titled Pancham Unmixed. The DVD is available for sale. It has interviews with RD's team members and also classical exponents such as Pt.Hari Prasad Chaurasia and colleagues such as Gulzar etc. Worth buy!
wow.. lots of great songs and wonderful writing.
was rdb known as pancham? what does it mean?
i have to come back a few times - too many good songs.. too slow a bandwidth :)
Anonymous said…
This is a great post with great songs. Hats off to Ravi.

I believe Teesri Manzil was the turning point in RD's career. It had a style that was very different from the music composed by other composers of that time.

Apparently Dada Burman used to go for a walk everyday in the morning in Juhu beach. Everyone used to recognize him. After Teesri Manzil, someone commented that "Woh dekho, RD Burman ka baap ja raha hai". That was the proudest moment of his life, he said. I wish I can locate that on the internet somewhere. This is as I listened to an interview of RD on Doordarshan back in the eighties.

The Gulzar - RD - Asha combination was one of the best. It was second only to Sahir - SD Burman - Rafi. I lean more towards the second not because RD was inferior. But because Sahir was a genius. He could brings phenomenal hitting power to any team.

Venkat
Music is an essential part of everyone's life and covering all age groups.

producer chris young

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala