One song at a time - 22. Sharadindu Malardeepa


I personally feel that no one emanates stronger signals than a woman in love. Generally the only person whose receiver is shut off from these signals is the male of the species for whom the signals are meant!! Everyone else can easily spot a girl in love except that special person!!

If you think I am joking, first look at this song. Then I will give you my views on the song after you watch it.



First observe the woman. Every small gesture of her's oozes love. Can anyone have any doubts that she is in love with the gent in the picture? The half smile, the faraway look which break into a sudden smile and the smile which turns into a faraway look, the sudden glance, 'from the corner of the eye' look. Shoba is a such a delight. As someone commented in the youtube comment section. "How can someone not fall in love with Shoba?" How indeed!!

Now observe the gentleman in question. You have no clue if he is tuned to the same frequency as Shoba. His whole serious approach is, "I need to recite this poem without any mistakes." Most of the looks he gives Shoba seem to say, "Am I correct till now, teacher? I by-hearted this last night." Even in the only physically intimate scene during the song, it looks as if he trying to get the poem transferred from Shoba's brain to his!! I see a sense of relief in him when the song ends, as if it is tough job well done. (Check the video once again and you will know what I am saying is true.) In a sense he reminds us of ourselves. Agree to it man. That way you have the option of thinking that someone actually liked you and you missed all those signals!!!

This song is from the movie 'Ulkadal'. Sung by Jeyachandran and Salma George. Poem of ONV Kurup set to music by M B Sreenivasan. Based on Kalyani. What a tune by M B Sreenivasan. Very minimal orchestration adds to the charm. As if the singers are just reciting the poem. The lack of percussion instruments helps in keeping the mood mellow. A song which most of the Malayalis know and love. I too love this song. For the music, for the singing and above all, for Shoba. The final expression in this video is priceless. What an actress!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Suresh,
Thanks for the song.

I like MBS music.
I love Shobha..
koodavae, I like your writings.

So - its a nice one.........

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
Anonymous said…
one more Word Suresh,
koodavae - I Love the Raga Kalyani also...

With Love,
usha Sankar.
Suresh S said…
Thanks Usha.

As you say, this song has all the combinations right. The ragam, the orchestration, the singers, the poem and of course Shoba :)

I too love the works of M B Sreenivasan, though I must confess I have heard only a fraction of his work.
Aakarsh said…
The composition has beauty written all over it. It is new to me and i liked it. So... mp3 vendum plz.

Secondly, that was a hilarious post actually. I was reading it again while watching it. You said it right. Ah, if only someone taught this actor - "Romance".. he looks like a school kid blurting out lessons in front of a teacher indeed. And yes, the subtle expressions of her shows that she was notches above him, in performance!
Suresh S said…
Kamal,

Thanks for the comments. I am glad you got to hear this beauty.
Ramki Krishnan said…
Thanks for bringing back memories of this lovely song. As I remember, all songs in movie were excellent - "Krishna thulasi" set in Subhapanthuvarali, "Nashtavasanthathin", "Ente kadinjool" (Simhendramadhyamam) etc. Great music by MBS.

It was Venu Nagavalli's first movie, and probably the debutant was nervous when pitted against a veteran like Shobha :-) IMO his real forte was scriptwriting and direction, where he did much better e.g. Aye Auto.

On the topic of such "sawal-jawab" songs where the hero and heroine sing alternate lines to express their sentiments, my favourite is "Sippiyirukkudhu muthumirukkudhu" in Varumayin Niram Sivappu! (I guess I'm going off on a tangent, so let me stop :-) Thanks again for the song, Suresh.

Cheers,
Ramki.
Suresh S said…
Thanks Ramki and Appadurai.

Ramki: I have heard about Venu Nagavalli as a good director though I have not seen any movie of his. I should also search for the other two songs you have mentioned.
Vassan said…
Soothing music. Thank You. M.B.S, Shoba they are all gone. rare talents, they were..

I often listen to MBS's Tamil songs here

MBS_Dhool

சித்திரப்பூ சேலை
Suresh S said…
Thanks Vassan for the comments and thanks also to pointing to 'chittira poo selai'. What a lovely song it is. Well sung by SPB. I have heard it multiple times. My friend Raj had earlier pointed it to me.

And yes, dhool.com has some very nice writeups about various songs and music directors.
Raj said…
A great composition as usual by the great master.

'Love signals' and all that..well I think I would not agree with you at least in the context of this song.
The heroine was a great actor while the Hero was not.Imagine Kamalhasan being there.Would that not have made a difference?

But the subtle humour in your writings is of course enjoyable!

"How can someone not fall in love with Shoba?"

One gentleman did and we all know what happened!!

By the way, thanks for remembering me while mentioning about 'Chitirapoo..'
Expecting your write-up on that song soon :)
Suresh S said…
Raj,

'chitirapoo' is a lovely and I definitely owe a thanks to you for introducing me to it. I am waiting to see if someone will upload it in youtube so that I can give a link in my post.

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala