Lure of Bageshree continues ....

After post on songs based on Bageshree, I received some good comments, both in the comment section as well as through mail. Everyone had their favourite Bageshree and told me that I missed it in my post. There were some songs that I didn't know and some I had deliberately not put in keeping the length of the post in mind. Now that I have clear proof that people can't get enough of this raga, I will do an additional post now to cover the other songs. Ofcourse, even after this there will be many Bageshrees left behind. Don't blame. Blame the composers, who had a soft corner for this raga.

Before we proceed further, I am sure many of the carnatic music aficionados  know that the carnatic raga considered closest to Bageshree is Sriranjani. This is as per the swaras but it is clear that the emotions they invoke are quite different. But don't be surprised if you hear a bit of Sriranjani in Bageshree. It is very much possible and is not a problem in your hearing!!!

One song, which pretty much everyone was convinced that I should have put in is 'Na Bhole Na Bhole Na Bhole Re' from the movie, 'Azad'. Music by C Ramachandra. As Kamal Aakarsh had pointed in the comments section of my earlier post, C.Ramachandra left behind his own stamp on Bageshree. I have fond memories of this song since my daughters danced to this song in a cultural program held in my apartment complex. This is one of the few Hindi songs they knew. Nowadays they will sing a Hindi song only if it sung by Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift or Linkin Park!!! The Bageshree that Ramachadra paints here is a testimony of his genius. He uses Bageshree for a mischievous song as against the general tendency to use it for love songs or sad songs.



Another lovely Bageshree comes from the baton of another master melody maker, Madanmohan. From the film, 'Dekh Kabira Roya', this is a gem from Talat Mohammed. The song suits the voice of Talat very well. 'Dekh Kabira Roya' was screened on late night on TV when we were in our post graduation. I missed it and the next day my friend Krishna Mohan told me that it was a very funny movie. I later watched it on DVD. I can assure you it is a genuinely funny movie and recommend you to buy this CD and watch it. There is a definitely movement away from Bageshree in the charanams but still this is a song worth hearing.



From the movie 'Rangoli', music by Shankar Jaikishan, this is another example along with 'No Bhole' of Bageshree being used in dance based songs. I observe a bit of Sriranjani touch in this song.



My sincere thanks to my friend Kamal Aakarsh for suggesting this song. This has been completely erased from my memory. 'Batasari' was a popular movie in its time and I had watched this movie on TV. (Those were the days of only one channel, Doordarshan, and you watched each and every movie screened.) A very nice Bageshree sung by Bhanumathi in her typical style.



I had spoken about 'mayakum malai pozhude' in my earlier post. I did not get the original youtube link for it. This is sung by a contestant in Airtel Super Singer. The emotional intensity of original is lacking but a nice rendition nevertheless. Tuned by Vishwanathan Ramamurthy for 'Gulebagavali'. There are some places where it goes off Bageshree but nevertheless a lovely song.



Here is the original Jikki and AM Raja version of 'mayakum malai pozhude'

The following song shows why NTR will always be considered as the last word when it comes to depicting Lord Krishna. That charming smile, the mischievous glint in the eyes and the overall earnestness is enough to charm even the toughest of the ladies. The melody of the song tuned by Pendyala helps as well.



Vidhyadharan master in the Malayalam movie, 'Achuvinte Veedu' hovers between Bageshree and Sriranjani to create an ideal world. Nice tune delivered well by Jesudas.



Lalgudi Jayaraman had composed a thillana based on Bageshree. My good friend pointed out to this video of that thillana sung by O S Arun. My thanks to him.



If there is one music director who understood all the rules of the game and then set upon breaking them, it must be Illayaraja. Is this lovely song Sriranjani or is it Bageshree. He somehow mixes the objectivity of Sriranjani with the intimacy of Bageshree and tunes this duet !! It takes a genius to come up with such a tune and Raja is one.



This song picturization perfectly suits the mood of Bageshree. A mega hit song and movie when it was released. Wonderfully photographed by P C Sreeram for the movie 'Geetanjali'. Delivered with the requisite sensitivity by Balu. All technical aspects combine together gloriously making this an all time classic.



Not everyone can think of tuning in Bageshree for a comedy song but then Raja is not somebody. The song from 'Puthu Puthu Arthangal'. Again a mix of Bageshree and Sriranjani to my ears.



From the movie 'Aruvadai Naal', this is a song which can typically be conjured up only by someone like Illayaraja whose brain seems to be wired quite differently. Again a mix of Bageshree and Sriranjani.



Lets close now. My hands are aching!!!

Comments

Aakarsh said…
I am drowning in too many "Thanks" in your post! Mention not, it was my pleasure, discussing music with you!

Coming to the post:

I think the bhageshree'2 by Ilaiyaraaja deserve a separate post(s), especially if we have to scan each and every song.Some of them are listed here: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/playlistirsongs.php?PLID=Bhageshri. So, how about a separate post dedicated to his Bhageshree's alone (it can end with his latest Bhageshree in Ramana saranam Saranam) Think again!

The rest of the songs were quite apt! I still cannot completely demarcate between Bhageshree and Sriranjani, except in some songs. They are quite close (as far as my perceptibility goes, which means, I need to hone my discerning skills more).
Suresh S said…
Kamal,

I am not thanking you for the comment :) Seriously, you have given some very good inputs in your last post.

In a classical sense, Bageshree and Sriranjani are quite distinct. You cannot mistake one for the other in a carnatic concert setting. But when it comes to film music, the music directors liberally mix both. I have no problems with that since they come up with some wonderful melodies.
Aakarsh said…
Yes, I can discern the difference between them only in classical compositions. In film songs, one flows into another. Anyway, I am now reminded of one Bhageshree by Ilaiyaraaja: Kaathirundhen Kanava(Dharma Patni).Phenomenal composition.
trust me, you need to follow up with a post on Ilaiyaraaja's bhageshree's exclusively. if you are game for it, let me know, we can come up with a list of songs first, that can be discussed in the post.
Suresh S said…
I am game. Give me a couple of more posts and then we will do one on Raja's Bageshrees. Will touch base with you next week in order to finalize the list.
Pree said…
Hey Suresh,

Enjoyed both Bhanumati and Ghantasala's songs you posted!. To me, all her songs sound v good but appreciate picking a nice one. Not just as a singer, she truly amazes me even today for who she is/ was meaning.. she had such great personality, was multi-talented- she's not a play singer but also was well versed into other arts, a good writer too.
Also want to share that growing up listening to her in radio I never felt any but it was only after growing up I realized she's such a talent!
Suresh S said…
Prasantha,

Thanks for the comments. What you say about the Bhanumathi experience is true for me as well. In my younger days I used to think she had an horrible voice and she over acted a lot. Later I could see her personality more clearly and my respect for her grew. She has indeed delivered some wonderful songs. You need to get used to her voice though.
Suresh S said…
My classmate Krithika, who is trained carnatic music singer, had sent feedback on this post. I had replied to her. I thought her views were pertinent. So I am posting them here along with my reply to her.

Here is what Krithika says:
"Hi Suresh

Thanks. Bet your fingers must be aching and songs are awesome but heres a suggestion. If you want to really capture bhagyashree, I think it is better to just show songs that reflect bhagyashree, you know what I mean and not mixtures because it can confuse people and is not in any way resembling bhagyashree, sorry

If you really think about our music, our whole music is just composed of 22 shrutis and perhaps 16 svaras and with permutations and combinations you arrive at many ragas- therefore obviously some phrases would overlap between ragas. Despite this overlap, there is something called raga svaroopa or raga chaaya that in entirety has to be heard in order to conclude the actual raga. Traditionally, ragas have a certain distinct flavour and only a very distinct ear or a trained ear that has heard many songs ( gyanam through listening) can easily decipher the raga. If we maintain the original flavor of a true raga and its patterns, think then it is easy for the audience to decipher the ragas. when singing one raga, ofcourse you have so many patterns of other ragas coming in and going out but you cannot dwell long in those patterns, you have to come back quickly to the flavor of the original raga so that there is no confusion for the purists..;

Many of those songs are not bhagyashree and therefore I think the beauty of bhagyashree is not captured well enough while I do agree the song itself is a nice one to hear.

Not sure what is your objective of the blog. if it is indeed to convey the bhagyashree raga and teach it to people like Subbu, I think better to stick to songs that one can classify as bhagyashree. Alternatively you can subtitle title your songs as beautiful melodies, fusion of many ragas or something like that to capture those mixed songs."

My response:

"Krithika,

Very valid comments. The problem is I have no clue what my blog intends to do :) Just kidding. The idea is not to teach Bageshree but to give a flavour of it, especially from the film music perspective. I am sure the purists are not going to be happy calling all that I put in as Bageshree but to an untrained ear I am hoping a pattern will emerge.

I think your comments are a good and if you don't mind I will put up your mail and my answer in the comment section. So that people know there has been some criticism as well and need not take all these songs as pure Bageshree."
Ramki Krishnan said…
When I saw the title of your first post "Bhagesri" with the pic of CR, the song that first jumped into my mind was Na bole - thanks for posting it in the second round :-)
Amongst all these gems in pure and "semi-pure" Bhagesris (I am not knowledgeable to enter into that debate!) the real find for me was "Sagara sayana vibho". Thanks a ton, Suresh, for introducing me to this wonderfully moving song. I was able to get a rendition by KVN himself from sangeethapriya, and it's a fantastic piece!

Cheers,
Ramki.
Suresh S said…
Hi Ramki,

Just when I was about to mail you asking about your non-appearance :)

True. KVN's rendition of 'Sagara Sayana Vibho' can bring tears to your eyes. One of my friend feels he does greater justice to this song that composer himself!!! Another KVN must hear song in the category is 'varugalamo' in Manji. It requires KVN's pace to give the required poignancy to that piece.
Hi Suresh,

My name is Sethupathi Arunachalam. I would like to contact you. Can you please send a mail to this email id: sethupathi.arunachalam@gmail.com?

Regards,
Sethu
Suresh,
I fully agree with Ramki on 'Sagara Sayana Vibho'. I first heard it about 2 years back and that was my introduction to Bhagesri as well. His rendition is really moving..
Overall, I think KVN brings out the emotions in many renditions, not sure if this is what is called 'Bhava'..
Thanks and Bye.
Best Regards,
N.R. Ramesh.
Unknown said…
magnum opus in Bageshri-"jag dard -e-ishq jag"from Anarkali (composed by C.Ramachandra)and of course, Bedardi dagabaaz ja - sung by Lata Mangeshkar. flawless, as always :)
Suresh S said…
Thanks for the comments Ranjani. I had put "jaag-dard-e-ishq jaag" in the first part of this article. Given the space and length constraints I had not included that Madan Mohan beauty "bedari dagabaaz". Thanks for pointing out that song.

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala