Like a gentle breeze, you entered my heart : Tribute to D.K.Pattammal


Long back, when the announcer on the radio said that Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer would be singer, my mother urged me to listen to him. "Hear the way he sings kalpanaswaras", she said. That was the first time I heard him. I still remember clearly the first concert of T N Seshagopalan and Maharajapuram Santhanam that I attended. I remember watching Bombay Jayashree for the first time on TV and telling my mother, "She sings well." I remember the first time I heard most of the artists, be it MDR, be it KVN or Musiri. But I don't remember when you entered my musical conscience. I don't remember the first time I heard you. I don't remember when you became my favorite. But you had!! Unknown to me, like a gentle breeze that is all pervasive, you had entered my heart. In my journey as a listener, I had many idols in my younger days. As my journey progressed, I had to leave many of them behind. Somewhere along this journey, you had entered and stayed firmly entrenched in my heart. You, along with MS, Brinda and Semmangudi, are now my gold standard. You define my aesthetics.

Your becoming my favorite artist silently also tells me what your music stood for. No razzle-dazzle. Nothing that springs suddenly at the audience. Nothing that catches someone by the gruff of his neck. You flowed like a natural stream. A gentle murmur. But you flowed deep and those who were interested in good music had no choice but to partake from this gently flowing stream. Having partaken from this stream, they rarely ventured anywhere else.

You had that amazing capacity to mould every composition to your own style at the same time maintaining the structure that the composer had intended. In your singing, people could clearly see the style of Dikshitar or Syama Sastry or Tyagaraja and at the same time they could clearly see your 'bani'. These two aspects were so well integrated in your singing that it was difficult to say if the composition enhanced your singing or if your singing enhanced the composition. To me, that is the mark of a great artist. Your singing had that assurance which was probably born out of internalizing everything that the composition spoke to you. This led to tremendous humility towards the art, which in turn reflected in your singing. You were always the singer who respected the intentions of the composer.

I understood the power of your style of singing when I heard your brother in a concert. Those were the days when I was enamored by a star singer of those time. I wouldn't accept anyone's singing other than this particular singer's. So, when your brother sang I listened with disinterest. I was sure no one can sing better than my favorite singer. The first few songs passed without me being impressed. (Those were the ignorant and heady days of youth.) Then your brother started 'Nannu Vidachi' in Reethigowla. The krithi was so well structured, that inspite of my stubborn resistance, the walls of my prejudice were broken, brick by brick. By the time your brother ended the krithi, I was standing like a 'nirayudhapani'. I had no choice but to bow before the great art displayed by your brother.

To me, people like you and your contemporaries like MS, Brindamma and Muktamma stood for what is the very best in Indian culture. All of you put your art before yourselves. Each of you worked hard, broke many barriers and like the Mahatma who fought for freedom without hating the enemy, all of you broke many prejudices gently. You fought with the best possible weapon, your music. What can men with all their prejudice do when confronted with such high art. They had no choice but to silently bow and accept defeat, which they did. To all of you, that was incidental. The real success was what you did to the art, the contributions you made to music. That is the great legacy that all of you leave behind.

You have left behind krithis on which you have put your indelible stamp. There was a perfection in the way the krithis were structured. I still remember the day when I got back from office and saw you on TV, singing 'Chintaya Makanda Mula Kandam' in Bhairavi. What a rendition it was!! I stood rooted to the spot. Absolutely assurance, with Bhairavi dripping in each phrase. I was lucky to attend a concert of yours, in which your grand daughter sang along with you. The only concert of yours I had attended. Age may have taken a toll on your voice but not on your ideas. I still remember the awe I felt when you painted Chakravakam with just a few strokes before taking up the krithi. What can I say about the charming Hamir Kalyani in 'Thumani Madathu' or the sparkling Paras in 'Neelayadakshi' or the majestic Todi in 'Dasukovalena' or the enchanting Madhyamavathi in 'Dharmasamvardhani' or the traditional Bilahari in 'Kamakshi Varalakshmi'. So many krithis which you have transformed into our memories using your magic wand.

As long as my ears can hear, as long as my brain can process music, you will stay with me. You had the riches of music with you which you generously gave to so many of us. I am a poor man. All I can offer to you is this humble tribute. May you rest in peace.

Comments

Sharanya said…
Very well written Suresh. What a voice! Cant stop listening to her Yaro Ivar Yaro...
mukund said…
Semmangudi's music appears to me like "periya koyil" - hand-crafted, but makes you wonder how many such structures would you find around.

DKP's is like the natural, pristine snow-capped mountains - appears so natural, simple, but still makes you wonder how many such beauties you get to see in the world.

This analogy might not articulate exactly what am feeling but this is what someone is capable of when he is not aware of the theoretical aspects of music :-)

Btw, am not sure if this is a right political statement to make - I guess with the passing of DKP, we can safely say that the "true" carnatic vocalists are no longer alive.
Suresh...
An important measure of Artist's success is not only his/ her appeal to reach out to the common public (and not just the elite) but also in doing so, educating them and involuntarily infusing the nuances of the art to them so they can appreciate it better; Your deeply passionate post stands among many a testimonies to deserving artists such as DK Pattammal..

T M Krishna, wrote in one of the papers that DK Pattammal was one of the first and true feminists in India without making a big deal of it. Because, in the light of Traditional restrictions on Women in a Conservative society, DKP's contribution in emphasizing equality by becoming an early Vidooshi was a silent revolution in reforming the social values

Your post, made me heavy and I ran back to my collection of DKP.. I am not sure if its a feeling of content (on behalf of DKP) that she indeed know the trade as good as any and lead such an worthy life or a gloom that makes me realize that World is now certainly a poorer place without such proponents of pure art..

With Love
Vicky
Suresh S said…
Thanks Sharanya, Mukund and Vicky for your comments.

Mukund, nice analogies and as you rightly said, analogies can only capture a small part of what we feel. There are still some musicians around whose music is pristine and whom I rever. People like Kalpagam Mami, Rama Ravi and S R Janakiraman.

Vicky: What you say is very true about the artist educating the listener. I can vouch that my own appreciation of this great musical form went up by listening to such masters like Pattammal. Yes, it is true that we become poorer when such true artists pass away.
Aakarsh said…
You yourself have summed it up, what i would have probably written. A very humble tribute.Personally, I still still to figure out if i believe in a recognized form of religion or God... but my Gods have always been music and all the great artists who have explored it and gave us a plethora of rich beauties for us to relish and feel a higher sense of life and beauty. And there are few artists or legends, who sang/played music in such a way that a feeling germinates in mind that says "ok, this is probably what God is". DKP's is one among such revered artists and blessed are we that we were able to listen to her, in our lifetime.
Great post suresh!
Suresh S said…
Yes Aakarsh,

I personally consider it fortunate to have heard live some of the greats like Semmangudi, Brinda, Pattammal, MS, Kalpagam Mami, KVN, Lalgudi and others. I wish I could have heard people like Musiri live. I have heard people like Brindamma and DKP live exactly once but I am happy I did.
Unknown said…
Very beautifully written Sir :) thoroughly enjoyed .. I remember a certain radio recording of aaduvomae pallu paaduvoamae, on the day of independence from a DD program on pattammaal.. as for DKJ, well he is the one and only DKJ and my favorite song of his is hiranmayeeem lakshmeem. and more importantly as someone that has learnt the mridangam i like DKJ for giving the world J Vaidyanathan :)
Suresh S said…
Thanks for the comment 'Unknown' (Wish I knew your name so I could thank you by your name)

DKJ was very much responsible for popularizing 'hiranmayeem lakshmeem'. That is an excellent krithi.
RSR said…
Well written. Echoing many of my thoughts. This is DKP centenary year. 2018.. I was groomed on DKP plates in my student days. and have tried to place them in a site dedicated to her.
https://sites.google.com/site/dkpattammalsongs
I am in need of 1) sangeetha gnaanamu ( dhanyasi) 2) maamava maadhava deva (neelaambari) . Kindly share if you happen to get them. ( 78 rpm records only) BEST REGARDS

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala