One song at a time - 30. Thamburu Kulir

(Raveendran Master)

One particular aspect which makes me go listen to a composer often is the way he deals with raagas. To me, the more imaginative the music director is in dealing with a raaga, the more new ideas he is able to showcase, the more respect I have for him. In this regard, Raveendran is one music director for whom I have high regard. He was very good in dealing with various raagas in a very original fashion.

Raveendran ruled the Malayalam film music in the 80s. He has given songs which will always stay with the Malayalis. Songs like 'Harimuraliravam' and 'Pramadavanam' are all time classics now and some of the movies he worked like 'His Highness Abdullah' and 'Bharatham' had his music as their mainstay. Ravenndran's effort is even more laudable for he was in an industry which was quite adept in dealing with Carnatic ragas. Music directors like Dakshinamurthy Swami, Devarjan Master, M G Radhakrishnan et al have dealt wonderfully with various ragas. Raveendran was able to lay a very unique path for himself and gain the adulation of the film goers.

(In the music directors of this generation (including Rahman) I don't see this aspect of trying to show us a new face of the raga. They are all very good in using the standard phrases and coming up with good orchestration, catchy rhythms etc and in ensuring people have an immediate connect. The one music director whom I think has this ability now is Sharath. Again a Malayali.)

Today lets look at one lovely song, from a film called 'Soorya Gayathri'. I did not know the film name when I first heard this song sung by a singing competition contestant. I was stuck by the way the tune changes so well in the charanam and immediately search for more details about the song. This song is a very melodious one. I thought the song was based on Bouli, the morning raga. One web site gave the raga as Revagupthi. (Since I honestly haven't heard Revagupthi enough to distinguish it from Bouli, I would request someone who knows the difference between these two ragas to comment.) Anyway, Raveendran conjures up a wonderful mood in the pallavi itself but the charanam takes the cake. Listen carefully to the first charanam. After the first two lines, when Jesudas goes, "kaatu mulam thandil" observe how the raga color changes. Sheer genius. The overall handling of the ragam is amazing. No surprise that I keep returning to this song often.

I am now going to give you two versions of this song. First the song as sung by Jesudas in the movie:



Now listen to this performance by the singer named Roopa. (I had posted her performance of 'Gangai Karai Mannan' earlier.) I heard the song first time in her voice. I love this version for one reason. The place where I mentioned that raaga changes color is made even more explicit by her in her rendition. I went 'Wow' when I heard it for the first time. Very well sung.

Comments

Dr T Venugopal said…
Raveendran's excellent composition. Some portions have 'punnaga varaali' besides 'bowli'. As known, Revagupti is a very rare raagam. Even Thyagaraja Swami composed one and only one keertan 'graha balamemi'. As it sounds like 'bowli', the latter only could be successful. ( However, at lalalala type of humming, it reminded the Telugu bit' teta neeti ee eti odduna' from 'chikati velugula kaugitilo chinde kunkuma vannelu' (Chakravarty's one of the best out of so many thousands)).
-Dr T Venugopal
rmdeva said…
"Thamburu kulir" nice song and it wonderfully sung by KJJ and Raveendran kept maintained flow in an extraordinary way.

I heard this song before..my memory is telling to me. thanks to bring that memory layer back to live.

Raveendran is an finest music director. Raveendran had composed music for one or two Tamil films too, listen those songs, if you did not listen earlier. (film name called Rasigan oru Rasigai )
Anonymous said…
Dear Suresh,
Thanks for the GEM.

Amrutha tv la paadi than indha paatai kaeten. ipo dhan original kaekaren. Thanks Suresh.
Raveendran - Great MD .

He is Fantastic in Raaga handling..

star singer - Amrutha TV brought up - singers tooooooooooooo good in their Bhavam............

Amrutha Tv - Orchestra - is best one.
beautifully managed - without spoiling the original one.

One more Beautiful song of Raveeendran - think so

Rare no - Raajivam vidarum - KJY
original kaetadhu ilai.
Amrutha TV - singer padi than kaetu iruken.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.
ravinat said…
Hi Suresh

Raveendran is another composer that I respect a lot. Though you have written about several composers, I do comment on only composers that I am familiar with.

Some of my Raveendran favorites that are not just as popular like Bharatham songs:

1. Ananda Nadanam from Kamaladhalam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KabPvkRmS4

2. Azhage Nin Mizhi - Amaram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8i4y_pu2k

3. Arivin Nilaave - Rajashilpi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C_eX-nn3kA

4. Ezhu Swarangalum - Chiriyo Chiri - this was adapted in Tamil too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpWf7t8gVU

5. Hemambari from Choliyattam - Yesudas. I couldn't get youtube video for this.

6. Hey Kurumbe from Geetham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBZWik44WA

7. Hrudhaya Raaga from Amaram (Observe the chords)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdkJ1LK2nr0

8. Premodaranayi Anayoo from Kamaladhalam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-OLt1FZ9Tk

9. Kandu Naan Mizhikalil from Abhimanyu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQ9c-oOEW8

10. Kizhakkunarum Pakshi-Aruna Kirana - Hear the vocal harmony in this track. Couldn't get youtube.

11. Alila Manjalil - Soorya Gayathri (one of my all time Raveendran favorites)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux_kXDmSncY

12. Raagangale Mohangale from Tharattu - Nice Das/Janaki Duet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIg3Qeb5yVE

13. Thenum Vayambum title song - remade as Paadi Azhaithaen - the brilliant violins made me think that it was a Raja song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9hCYSdZSko

14. Thenum Vayambum by Das

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ro0vdmBG8

He was unmistakably the Ilayaraja of Kerala. He had the classical base and was good at folk of the land and WCM.

Cheers

Ravi Natarajan
Suresh S said…
Dr Venugopal Garu,

Wonderful analysis. And lovely connect to the 'theta neeti' part of 'chikati velugulu'. I observe that now after you pointed it out. 'Cheekati Velugulu' is easily the best Chakravarthi song. I wanted to feature it in my blog but unfortunately haven't found a youtube clip yet. Hopefully when someone loads it, I will immediately write about it.
Suresh S said…
rmdeva,

I have heard Raveendran's music for a Tamil movie called 'Lakshmi Vandacchu'. If my memory serves me right, it had a very nice Panthuvarali based number. I initially thought it was an Illayaraja number!!!
Suresh S said…
Usha,

Thanks for the comments. What I find on the Malayalam channels is that their level of singing is high and they chose some very nice and sometimes rare numbers. Far better than what we see in the Tamil and Telugu channels.
Suresh S said…
Ravi,

Now you have given me some homework :) Heard quite a few of the songs you listed but not all. Will listen to them immediately. Thanks for all the links.

It is no coincidence that a friend on twitter sent me the same message. That Raveendran was the Illayaraja of Kerala. Very true. You can sometimes hear the influence of Raja when it came to orchestration. Raveendran was very innovative and came up with some complex structures. An excellent music director indeed.
rmdeva said…
Ravi,

thanks for the links and My weekend will go with all your links because I was expecting this kind of sharing some one as whenever i search for raveendran songs, it shows huge numbers then I left the search due to time. Thanks.
Aakarsh said…
Wonderful song. Thanks for posting this one. Never heard this one before and I too am not knowledgeable enough to comment on the raaga of this song. The brilliance of Raveendran's music was in the complexity he built up. I cant call his songs as conventional songs. They all are very different from all other composers. and the treatment too!

I have listened to some of the songs that Ravi Natarajan posted here. They have been favourites anyway and I am yet to listen to the new ones here. I am glad that he posted "Hey Kurumbe" - a fantastic and quite different exposition of Hamsadhwani. It escape the "Vaathapi-sque" hangover that half of the Hamsadhwani film songs typically have.And that needs a genius, like him!
Suresh S said…
Kamal,

Thanks for the comment.

This song is not so well know. To be honest I got to hear some rare but lovely songs by watching the video of this singer, Roopa. She chose songs like this one, 'sundara raavil', 'mouname', 'raavil veena naadham pole' by various composers. Each of them a brilliant song but not so well known. I will probably post all of them here one by one :)

As you rightly point out, originality in dealing with ragas was one of the important traits of Raveendran. Most of the songs that Ravi listed here prove it.
Anonymous said…
There is a song from the movie Rangeela(Hindi) " Hai Rama Ye Kya Hua Kyon Aise Humein Sataane Lage " which should be based on Revagupthi Raga.Will have to seriously consider Rahman's close encounters with Carnatic Ragas.

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala