A few Hindustani recommendations from a Carnatic music fan

I am interested in listening to various forms of music and I believe this attitude has given me a lot of melody and happiness. In this regard, Hindustani music, with its closeness to Carnatic music, has provided me some great moments. I wanted to share some of them here.

Most of my appreciation of Hindustani music was generated by listening to tapes. (I have very rarely been to Hindustani concerts.) As can be expected, being a Carnatic music fan, I get easily attracted to those ragas which are present in both the systems. You can see that in my recommendations as well. I am sure I am missing a great number of Hindustani stalwarts and some of the canonical renditions which would be now considered legendary. If you find something missing please pardon me. My listening as well as knowledge of Hindustani music is limited. All the recommendations are for vocal music. All the tapes I mention below are available commercially.

Let me start with one of the first Hindustani tapes which made a big impression on me. This was a HMV release of Kishori Amonkar singing Bhoop and Bagesri. Bhoop is the Hindustani counterpart of Mohanam. Given the ease at which Mohanam can seep into you, it was no wonder that I started loving this. Added it to it was the beauty of Kishori's singing. I especially like the drut part of this rendition. Kishori squeezes out every inch of melody from Bhoop and I haven't heard a better Bhoop than this. Bagesri is another raga which emotionally appeals to you and this rendition equals that of Bhoop. This is one tape which I will ask any carnatic music listener to buy. You will not be disappointed.

The next recommendation is a tape of Ustad Amir Khan. Before I get into those details let me write about my first encounter with the great master.

It was late at night, with everyone having gone to sleep, and I alone watching the movie 'Baiju Bawra' in my uncle's house. I don't remember the exact details but the story goes something like this: Baiju comes to Tansen's house with a sword intent on killing Tansen. He hides behind a curtain in the room where Tansen is practising his music. Tansen starts singing an alap. The beauty of the alap is such that Baiju loses himself in the music and the sword slips out of his hand. Baiju now realizes the power of music and vows to become a better singer than Tansen and defeat him in a music competition. And thus proceeds the story.

Hearing the same alap which Baiju hears, especially late in the night when there is no disturbance whatsoever, you realize why Baiju dropped his sword. Anyone who has a little ear for music would do so. The only word I can use to describe that alap is that cliched term, magical. Cliche' or not, this one word captures the music of Amir Khan as no other word can. It was so appropriate that they made Amir Khan sing for Tansen. (I didn't know it was Amir Khan then. My friend told me the next day when I inquired with him). In many movies you hear singers defeating their opponents by their music and you wonder how that can happen when neither the singing nor the melody is top class. Amir Khan's voice is so out-of-the world and the singing heavenly that it is very appropriate for the scene. (Digression: Similarly Balamurali and TMS's singing in Tiruvilayadal are pieces which are extremely appropriate in the movie). It has been a long time since I saw that scene and heard that melody but I have a vague recollection that the raga featured was related to Carnatic Kanada.

Almost everything Amir Khan touched has class written all over it. My recommendation will be the tape which has Hamsadhwani and Malkauns. Hamsadhwani is an import into Hindustani music from South India. The khayal that is sung is very similar to the famous kriti 'Vatapi Ganapatim Bhaje'. Malkauns, being Hindolam, is another ragam which we can easily relate to. Both of them carry the stamp of the master. Another piece, though a small one, which gave me a lot of enjoyment was a Ramdasi Malhar piece. You can hear shades of our Kanada in this. The more popular and oft referred tape of Amir Khan is the one featuring Darbari and Marwa. Darbari is easy to relate with, it being Darbari Kanada. Marwa will take some listening to before you get an idea of its contours.

The next master I would recommend is Abdul Karim Khan, the doyen of Kirana Gharana. HMV had released a couple of tapes, which seem to have been taken from the old 78 rpms. Look out for a tape which contains these two ragas: Devagandhar and Anand Bhairav amongst others. I was given to understand that the Devgandhar he sings in the Devagandhari of Carnatic music and not the Hindustani Devgandhar. Abdul Karim Khan sings some amazing solfa swara passages in both these ragas. The Devagandhari is extremely melodious and so is Anand Bhairav. The raga Anand Bhairav has shades of Carnatic Bhairavi and the image of Bhairavi leaps at you when Abdul Karim Khan (AKK) is singing the kalpanaswaras. It is said that AKK was not a big fan of kalpanaswaras and used to say that South Indian musicians play the harmonium through their mouth when referring to swara singing!!! He is supposed to have changed his opinion when he heard Dhanammal played kalpanaswaras on the veena and learnt the art of kalpanaswara singing from the great veena player. Abdul Karim Khan used to stay in Dhanammal house whenever he was in Madras and they had great mutual regard for each other. (Digression: Pandit Ravishankar in an interview said that he was moved to tears when he heard the very first phrase of Shankarabaranam played on the veena by Dhanammal. Tirukodikkaval Krishnaiyer is supposed to have remarked that for Dhanammal's Shankarabaranam we can give away all the fourteen worlds. Such was the playing of Dhanammal)

HMV also released a couple of 'Gharana' tapes which featured the Kirana Gharana artist. One of them has a lovely selection of singers as well as ragas. I had given this tape to a friend and I haven't got it back yet. I remember hearing a lovely Kapi and a Sarang by Basavaraj Rajguru, Suddh Kalyan by Bhimsen Joshi and a lovely number by Feroz Dastur. This was definitely a tape worth buying. There was one more Kirana Gharana release which is worth buying for a different reason. It has Abdul Karim Khan singing two carnatic krithis !!! Yes. He is supposed to have learnt the kritis from Dhanammal. He has recorded 'Rama Nee Samanevaru' (Karaharapriya) and the Patnam krithi, 'Entha Nerchina' in Saveri. Don't expect a carnatic type rendition. The Ustad gives his own beautiful spin to it.

One of the imports into Carnatic music was Brindavana Saranga. Bhimsen Joshi sings a lovely 'Brindavani Sarang' in a release of Music Today. The whole tape contains only this raga and Bhimsen is in full form. I like the druta part a lot.
A few years ago I bought a tape of Kumar Gandharva at Sangeet Sagar in DVG Road and then proceeded in my car towards J C Road. I had heard a lot about Kumar Gandharva but I hadn't listened to his music till then. I put this tape in and the very first few lines that he sang made me sit up with a jerk. For I have never heard anyone like him in Hindustani music. He sang a piece which goes 'Dekho Re Rut' in Raga Shree Kalyan and from the very first phrase he had my attention. The way he pronounced the words, the rhythm he generated and the very unorthodox approach took my breath away. This tape has lot of Pratimadhyamam equivalent ragas. Ragas like Shree, Puriya Danashri (which sounds close to Pantuvarali), Shree Kalyan, Kalyani, Sohini (Hamsanandi) etc. Each piece is a delight and you will be able to easily identify with these ragas. Kumar Gandharava also has another such release from HMV in which he sings a beautiful Nand, Chaiti Bhoop etc. What I found fascinating about Kumar Gandharava's singing was that even if he sang 3 pieces in one side of a tape, each piece sounded so complete. (Speaking of small pieces a few outstanding small pieces worth listening to are Faiyaaz Khan's 'Tadpat Hun' in Rag Lalit, Bade Gulam Ali Khan's 'Om Tat Sat' and Pandit Jasraj's 'Mata Kalike' in Adana)

Now for the set of ragas that I love. The Malhar group. There are different kinds of Malhar and I will talk about the two popular ones, Miyan Ki Malhar and Gaud Malhar. The Malhars are not popular in Carnatic music (a pity) and hence you won't get to hear them often. To our untrained ears Miyan Ki Malhar will sound like Kanada. Infact my mother insists that the famous "Guddi" film song 'Bole Re Papihara' is based on Kanada, though I tell her that it is based on Miyan Ki Malhar. If people like me untrained in music try singing Miyan Ki Malhar we end up singing Kanada !! Even though we may not have heard this raga much in Carnatic music, you can easily identify with it due to its closeness to Kanada.

The popular khayal in Miyan Ki Malhar is 'Karim Naam Tero' and this is sung by many masters. I have heard this khayal sung elaborately by Ustad Amir Khan, Kumar Gandharva, Bhimsen Joshi and Kishori Amonkar. I love the rendering of Amir Khan. His deep voice, the languid pace and the slow development of the raga leave you asking for more. (I remember hearing a great Ramdasi Malhar, which also sounds very close to Kanada, on the same tape. Unfortunately I don't have the tape with me and I am unable to get it in any store). 'Bole Re Papihara' is actually a classical piece which was used as the starting point of the famous film song by the music director Vasant Desai. There is a charming rendition of this piece by Kumara Gandharva in his own inimitable style.

The other Malhar which is famous is Gaud Malhar. Here the closeness to Kanada is less than in Miyan Ki Malhar. This is also a very melodious raga and you will be attracted to it almost immediately. The Malhars are identified with the monsoons and I would agree with it. One Gaud Malhar I listen to often is by Kishori Amonkar. She sings the khayal, "Kyon Yaako Barsat" and the drut piece, "Papi Dadarwa". This is a release of HMV. I still remember driving to Chikmagalur, the weather cloudy and the road to Hassan smooth and empty. Hearing Kishori at this time, in that lovely weather, was real bliss.

I have kept the best for the last. Other than the khayal in Gaud Malhar that I had mentioned earlier, there is another famous khayal in Gaud Malhar,'Maan na kari'. There is a tape of Kishori singing this piece release by Music Today. It was a nice rendition. Some time later, I bought a tape, which had Mallikarjun Mansur singing the same piece. I put it on and the very first phrase proclaimed that I was in the presence of the genius !!! His approach was so very different and you can see a complex brain at work here. After a few minutes, listening with a gaping mouth, I was wondering as to how this man will keep up this excellence for another 20 or more minutes !!! Keep up he does and in what style and passion. The complexity is mind blowing and the color of the raga that evolves is without parallel. I instantly became a big fan of his music. The best description of Mallikarjun Mansur's Gaud Malhar was given by Rajan P Parrikar ,"We return to mAna na kare ri in what is indisputably the greatest rendition in the rAga. Mallikarjun Mansur's tour de force is manna for the soul. This manner of singing can only come to those in whose bones the daemon of 'madness' has taken refuge. For this is not the handiwork of rational beings". (http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit04012002/musicarts.asp). An excellent and apt description of Mallikarun Mansur's singing.

Hope you will be a bit adventurous and try listening to some of the recommendations. I can assure you that if you do put in some effort, you have a lot to gain.

(A note on Rajan P Parrikar: The web site South Asian Women's Forum (sawf) describes Rajan as "Rajan P. Parrikar is a recognized expert on Indian Classical music and shares his knowledge freely with those interested in the subject. He has written a series of articles on Classical Indian Music some of which have been archived on Sawf." I know that Rajan Parrikar plays harmonium. He used to post regularly in the newsgroup rec.music.indian.classical (rmic) and also wrote the initial articles on ragas in this newsgroup. Later they were posted at http://www.sawf.org. You can understand the effort he puts in to put together each of the articles. His articles are always interesting to read and like many others I too used to await his articles. His articulation is of high standard and communicates what he wants to say without any doubt. What I like most is that he expresses his opinions openly and calls a spade a spade. Even if you are not into Hindustani music I would urge you to check out Rajan's articles under the 'Music' section of http://www.sawf.org)

Comments

Unknown said…
What an interesting piece of writing! Only someone deeply passionate about music can write with such commitment. Enjoyed myself.
Deepa Ganesh
Suresh S said…
Thanks Deepa for the kind words.
Unknown said…
Suresh, I hvave a tape of Amir Khan with Miyan ki Malhar and Ramdasi Malhar. If you send me your E-mail address, I can get it to you.

SSK
Unknown said…
I am also a Carnatic music fan, just getting interested in Hindustani Classical Music. My feelings are the same as yours re: Hindustani Classical music.
SSK
Suresh S said…
SSK,

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate that a lot. You can mail me at suresh0302 (at) yahoo.com Looking forward to your mail.

Nice to know you are getting interested in Hindustani music. My basic philosophy is 'more the merrier' :) The more music we hear without any prejudice, the more pleasure we gain.
A Sharma said…
I am a serious Hindustani Music listener and have often wished to foray into Carnatic but have been unable to do so. Ragas imported in Hindustani from Carnatic are exceedingly beautiful.
But the general manner of performing Carnatic seems very strange (for the want of a better word) to a Hindustani rasik.
It is an acquired taste I presume. I wonder if you could point out to some Hindustani-friendly Carnatic singers who can lead me to acquire that taste. I feel deprived of an entire treasure for the want of it.
Suresh S said…
Sharmaji,

My apologies for not replying quicker.

I have heard many of friends say the same. That Carnatic music to them would be an acquired taste and they find it 'difficult'/'strange'. It takes some effort to appreciate carnatic music according to them.

I do understand this point of view because each of these genres approach ragas from different point of view. For a Hindustani fan my recommendations would be to first start with someone who has the 'sruthi sudhham' which every Hindustani ear wants. Also it would be nice if the music unfolds in a leisurely fashion. Towards this end I would suggest the following artists:

1. K V Narayanaswamy, especially when he deals with ragas like Yamuna Kalyani, Kapi, Bageshree etc

2. Maharajapuram Santhanam: Again his dealing with ragas imported from Hindustani music is quite leisurely

3. In the present generation, I would suggest Bombay Jayashree.

These may be the people through whose music you can slowly enter into the Carnatic music world. (K J Jesudas and Balamuralikrishna's selected songs can also be attractive to people immersed in Hindustani music.)
Padma said…
Though,I have heard a few Hindustani musicians and enjoyed them always,but never went in search of Hindustani music,as I do with carnatic music. Your article has created a desire in me to hear more Hindustani , the way you have described ,just can't wait to get the tapes of Amir khan etc....will follow your blog now and benefit...thanks
manju said…
definitely i am going to listen to your recommendations thank you.
Cloud Learner said…
Hi .. i was reading this great article. Can u send me that music tape. This is the day, i realize google has limitations.
Unknown said…
Please listen the greatest stalwart of Indian classical music .. The tansen of 20th century USTAD BADE GHULAM ALI KHAN ... if u listen him keenly you will easily feel how great he is.. I myself listened ustad Abdul Karim khan , omkarnath thakur, faiyaz khan, alladiya khan, sawai gandharwa, bhimsen joshi, pandit jasraj, kishori amonkar, ustad amir khan, bal gandharwa, Kumar gandharwa, kesarbai karkar, sidheshwari devi,mallikarjun mansur, and in carnatic I listened ariyakkudi ramanuja, gn balasubramaniam, semmangudi, chembai vaidyanath bhagvathar,Dr balamurali Krishna, Dr kj yesudas, ms subbalaxmi, dk pattambal, saradambal,ml vasanthakumari and latest singers like tm Krishna and sanjay subrahmaniam.. BUT HAVING LISTENED TO ALL THESE GREATS. .. I MYSELF CONSIDER USTAD BADE GHULAM ALI KHAN AS THE HIGHEST HIMALAYAN PEAK OF RECORDED VOCAL MUSIC...(ie his career before his stroke in 1962 January when he was paralysed)( This observation is based on mastery of technique..taan.gamak etc.. ,the emotion which he brings in his singing, the ease of flow of vocal from one octave to another which ranges a total of 3 and half octaves effortlessly...especially when I listened to his marwa, malkauns, Adana, bahar, darbari, bhopali,jaunpuri, gunkali,desi todi, multani, asavari,kaushi Dhani, miyan ki todi, miyan ki malhar, kafi, megh malhar, shivranjini, mishra kalengra, pilu, bhairavi, pahadi, lalit, tilang, kamod,etc. I again and again felt and continues to feel him as the highest Himalayan peak of indian classical vocal... With due respect to all other greats of Indian music...
Arun Kulkarni said…
Really appreciate the effort put behind the article, for more information on the difference between Hindustani and Carnatic music visit Artium Academy.

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala