M.S.Subbulakshmi : Three (not often heard) Classics


Yesterday was M S Amma's 98th Birth Anniversary. I had tweeted three krithis, one each of the trinity, yesterday in her remembrance. I thought I will now write a few words on each of these krithis and out it up on my blog.

As with any other singer, MS is also identified by a set of songs: Sriman Narayana, Sarojadalanetri, Akilandeswari, Kamakoti Peetasthithe, Maitrim Bhajatha (and many more) and rightly so for she owned these songs. (OK 'kuraionrum illa' also. So don't kill me now). Yet there were masterpieces which she sang as well as any other master. Unfortunately these have not been heard often enough. I want to bring to your notice three such masterpieces. Hopefully these will find their place in your MS playlist soon.

We start with a charming Dikshitar krithi in the rare ragam, Madhava Manohari. I heard this krithi first in the voice of D K Pattammal. Her version is a tad faster, surprising given that DKP is known for her slow speed renditions. There is a recording of Vijay Siva available and he sings the krithi is the same oru kalai speed of DKP. Later I heard Semmangudi sing this in a Bombay concert. After completing the krithi he says, "idhu Mahalakshmi kshetram" in his typical nasal voice. ("This is Mahalakshmi kshetram". He is referring to the famous Mahalakshmi temple in Bombay). After hearing all of these renditions, I chanced upon M S's rendition in youtube by accident. Instead of recommending some video, youtube put up this video as a recommendation. From the time I heard this recording, this has turned into my favorite version of this krithi. 

The krithi's language is Sanskrit and in this krithi it is quite easy to understand the words. M S does a terrific job with her unhurried and clear rendition. Here is the krithi:



From Dikshitar, we go to Syama Sastry. It is said that Syama Sastry would have attained eternal fame had he just composed the three swarajathis and nothing else. The three swarajathis he composed are in the ragas Bhairavi, Todi and Yadhukula Kambhoji. Semmangudi has sung all three of them. The Bhairavi swarajathi and Semmangudi's rendition are now part of Carnatic folklore. Semmangudi has a couple of recording of the Todi swarajathi, which he sings very well. As far as I know there is only one very bad recording (bad recording quality. Not bad singing) available of Semmangudi's Yadhukula Kambhoji swarajathi rendition. When I first heard that, I kept hearing it for days together. I gave it to friends of mine who learn music and they were delighted to hear the swarajathi sung by Semmangudi. Later we got hold of MS's rendition and my friend's told that MS's rendition helped them a lot in learning the swarajathi. Yadhukula Kambhoji is a raga I love. Syama Sastry a composer I admire and MS is a singer I adore. No wonder this is one of my favorite pieces



Now it is Tyagaraja's turn. I must confess I have also not heard this krithi too many times. And only yesterday I heard MS's rendition. So I cannot gush about it the same way that I gushed for the earlier two pieces. The reason I selected this krithi is because this krithi had left a lasting image in my eyes. During my engineering days I attended the college festival of Osmania University Arts College. There was a Carnatic music competition going on. I have always associated the ragam Todi with light blue color. So I was pleasantly surprised when one girl came on the stage wearing a light blue saree and started singing Todi. She sang the krithi 'munnu ravana', which I was hearing for the first time. I don't remember how she sang. I don't remember her face. All I remember now is the blue saree and the association of that color with Todi.

Here is MS singing the Tyagaraja krithi 'Munnu Ravana'. Tyagaraja and Todi can never go wrong and when MS joins, joy is guaranteed.



Two of these have been uploaded by V.Shrinivasan and one by Shankar Rajasekaran. My pranams to them for doing this service for rasikas like us.

Comments

Ramki Krishnan said…
Thanks Suresh for the lovely writeup. Posting this in a hurry before even listening to the songs (haven't heard any of them earlier) but your blog has kindled my interest enough that I will surely do it tomorrow :)
Suresh S said…
Thanks Ramki. As Vivek says in one Tamizh movie, 'unga kadamai unarchikku oru ellaiye illayaa' :D

Jokes apart, these are outstanding classics. Please do listen to them. They will soon enter your favorite list. I will bet on that :)
Anonymous said…
her voice is something else, perhaps it is because we have always listened to her every morning to start the day but brings peace whenever one listens.......sachin
Suresh S said…
True Sachin. It is lucky that none of us escaped the magic of her voice. Even now she is present in the morning for our kids here.
Prahalad said…
Excellent post, sir.
Aakarsh said…
Very good post. i need not tell about the great music, but I am totally taken in by that brilliant photograph of hers that you have put up. Beautiful. :-)
RSR said…
great sir!...I need munnuravana (todi) 78rpm record by DKP around 1935, mentioned with admiration by Kalki. Kindly let me have links to 78 rpm records of MS prior to 1950, in Todi, Sankarabaranam. Have a look at my sites for MS,DKP and NCV and help me build them up .
sites.google.com/site/
a) homage2mssubbulakshmi b) dkpattammalsongs c) ncvasanthakokilam
Also facebook at rsr swamy ( just now begun)
RSR said…
I got 'munnuravana' todi 78 rpm from another friend and have placed it in https://sites.google.com/site/dkpattammalsongs/home/05-MUNNURAVANA
I need DKP solo 'thondru nikazhnthathanitthum unarndhidu ' (bairavi) 78 rpm. by DKP. Can you help?
Suresh S said…
Hi RSR,

I don't think I have the DKP song with me. I will ask around and if it is available will let you know

Regards,

S.Suresh
RSR said…
Thank you very much.
https://sites.google.com/site/dkpattammalsongs/home/21-natachi-natachi
It has been my favourite song for long but I do not know the meaning. Sri.Govindan has given word by word meaning but still , the message that the saint is trying to convey eludes me. May I request you to give your impression?
Suresh S said…
Can you mail me at suresh0302 at yahoo dot com. I will send you the translation to your mail id.

Popular posts from this blog

One song at a time - 24. Naadamaya E Lokavella

M S Subbulakshmi : Who misunderstood her?

SPB: A Musical History - Part 1 : A Legend called Ghantasala